Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Downloaded and then installed Gogle Earth in Mint 10. Got the initial tip screen in Google Earth and then the program crashed. Uninstalled in package manager and reinstalled, same result. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Google Earth in Linux Mint 10

Downloaded and then installed Gogle Earth in Mint 10. Got the initial tip screen in Google Earth and then the program crashed. Uninstalled in package manager and reinstalled, same result. Can anyone tell me how to get Google Earth to run in Linux Mint 10?

Hello and Welcome.
    Try starting GE from the command line, when it crashes it will spit out an error or message. Post that message back here, please.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    New user here, so be gentle. Suffered from CPM and DOS 1 onward? and had enough OS beta testing. What is GE? Do I access it from the terminal? screen? When I downloaded Google Earth, it sent two major files, the program (package) and one for Debian. I got them reinstalled and to the main screen, saw the earth and started to do a search and it crashed after a new install. I assume you are looking for an run error log or whatever you call it in Linux.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by annieo View Post
    What is GE? Do I access it from the terminal? screen? When I downloaded Google Earth, it sent two major files, the program (package) and one for Debian. I got them reinstalled and to the main screen, saw the earth and started to do a search and it crashed after a new install. I assume you are looking for an run error log or whatever you call it in Linux.
    Hello and welcome aboard!

GE is short for Google Earth. I've never used Google Earth, so not sure what the actual start command is for it (could be googleearth, or something similar), but he's asking you to go to a terminal and try to start the GE app from there, then post here in your thread any error messages that pop up, which will hopefully reveal why it's crashing.

Hope that makes sense.
    oz

Yes, that's what I meant....open a terminal/konsole window from your desktop menu and type "google" without the quotes and press the (Tab) button, it should autocomplete the command for you...then press enter. If it crashes, it should give you an error message, post that back here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Did not work. Tried google, googleearth and google-earth, hit the tab and then enter in the Terminal window.

Properties:
    /opt/google/earth/free/google-earth %f

Linux Guru
    I don't have Mint but the command which works for me is "google-earth" without quotes, with the dash
    so it looks like it's not installed properly. How did you install? From the Mint/Ubuntu repositories?
    the googleearth site? I had problems getting it to work on Ubuntu and the problem was resolved by
    installing lsb-core files. Take a look at the link below which gives step-by-step instructions to
    use from the command line. It is for Ubuntu but should work as well for Mint which is an Ubuntu
    derivative. There are several methods and toward the bottom of the page instructions on removing
    which might be a good idea to start since you apparently have an incomplete or at least non-working
    install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=yancek;850857]I don't have Mint but the command which works for me is "google-earth" without quotes, with the dash
    so it looks like it's not installed properly. How did you install? From the Mint/Ubuntu repositories?
    the googleearth site? I had problems getting it to work on Ubuntu and the problem was resolved by
    installing lsb-core files. Take a look at the link below which gives step-by-step instructions to
    use from the command line. It is for Ubuntu but should work as well for Mint which is an Ubuntu
    derivative. There are several methods and toward the bottom of the page instructions on removing
    which might be a good idea to start since you apparently have an incomplete or at least non-working
    install.

Note:
    Had the core files already installed okay. I removed the .deb file after a complete uninstall. I downloaded the Linux Google Earth from the google site, 32-bit and reinstalled. I thought the original file might have been corrupted, or the install unsuccessful. Same result, program would start to load and crash. At this point, I just uninstalled completely and deleted the .deb file downloaded from Google. In the initial download, there are two main files, the .deb and another that automatically converts a Debian. I even installed one of them, ran it, removed it and installed the other, did not work. Installed them both from a fresh download and that did not work. At this point, I have not been able to get Google Earth to work in Linux Mint 10. The most frustrating notion is that I may end up running that program in Windows. Any more, I don't like to do Windows. That prospect is worse than me trying again if anyone knows how to install the google download of the GE for Linux. How would I check to make sure 3-D is available on my video card and checked?

Linux Guru
    Your first post seems to indicate you used the Synaptic package manager to install googleearth, correct? Your last post indicates you downloaded and tried to install from the googleearth site, correct? Both failed?

I found several posts with problems installing googleearth on Mint 10 and the solution for most was the lsb-core files not being installed. Don't have any other suggestions.

Just Joined!

How on Google Earth can I get it to work in Linux Mint 10

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Your first post seems to indicate you used the Synaptic package manager to install googleearth, correct? Your last post indicates you downloaded and tried to install from the googleearth site, correct? Both failed?

I found several posts with problems installing googleearth on Mint 10 and the solution for most was the lsb-core files not being installed. Don't have any other suggestions.
    Yes, used synaptic package manager and also re-downloaded and ran the file itself from the googleearth site. Neither worked. The reason I re-downloaded is in case the file was corrupted or the install had failed somehow. Could not get it to work. If anyone is successful running Google Earth on Mint 10, I would like to know how they did it, if, indeed anyone has been able to get it to work properly. I like Linux Mint, easy to install and I am learning more of the command line (old DOS guy) or terminal commands each day. I am to the point where I actively avoid Windows, even to the point to setting up the computer on my 50 inch TV set with Linux. Thanks for the suggestions. If you think of any others I might try on Google Earth, let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast