Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
One I am behind a Router, at this point in Time I am only play with Linux, my primary OS W7 64 bit. 2 I will be installing a AV ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

One I am behind a Router, at this point in Time I am only play with Linux, my primary OS W7 64 bit. 2 I will be installing a AV unit for Linux, because no matter what any one says any machine can be open to infections.

All and I repeat *all* Linux systems have this safety feature, it's there for a reason. You would be very unwise to try and tamper with it, remember that however how smart you are, there is another user online somewhere potentially smarter.....
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Banned
    I figured it out 1. open terminal window Type su
    you will then be asked for your password
    then the commands you gave me can be typed in and activated

Quote Originally Posted by Siddly View Post
    Can you be more specific, an example perhaps.
    If you are talking about having to use sudo and supply a password, there are certain functions where you need root access to perform. That is to protect any other user on your system and outside attackers from wilfully or accidentally damaging your system.

I don't know anything about Windows UAC but if that's its function, good for it.
    If you use the command line and you want to circumvent using sudo all the time.
    "passwd root" (without the quotes)
    Enter a root password as prompted.
    When you have a terminal opened as a user, "su -" and give it the root password and you are root.
    You can then e.g. "apt-get install xyz" instead of "sudo apt-get install xyz" without having to be asked for a password.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    Here is what iget when I try the command given in the root
    Linux-Mint dave # apt-get install xyz
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package xyz
    SO what is wrong

What program are you actually trying to install?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Banned
    I is not a program I am trying to install, the idea of having to give permission to do certain things by typing in a password and hitting the authorization button, is a Pain in the A$$, It maybe great for a beginner but not for someone who has a Computer for years.
    Windows has the same thing called a UAC, but you also have the option of disabling the function. I do not need this function but I understand that it is part of all Linux Operating Systems. I am likely going to give up on Linux, I am sorry it does not even compare as user friendly as Windows or Mac. It may be faster but is a PITA to use. I will keep it on my machine for browsing. It is very hard to get a nice customized look and feel I like my Desktop being unique.

If I understand what you mean, you're basically wanting a Linux box to respond like a Windows machine that has only the admin account active.
    Is that about right?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Banned
    Yes, in Windows I disabled this constant nagging of asking for permission by inserting Password or saying Yes. Again I am the only user of the account on windows 7 behind a router firewall on which I changed Password from the default for getting into the router. On Windows I also run a firewall and a great AV and other software to keep my machine safe. I have never been infected, there have been attempts but they failed as the software I have for protection worked as it should.

I am only playing with Linux to see what it can or cannot do. I am a Windows fan. I like eye candy and the ease of which you can make your desktop unique using various programs

It sounds like you might just be wanting a type of Windows-clone system, exhibiting the same behavior and following the same set of rules and procedures.
    And the same easy way of side-stepping any built-in safeguards. I'm not knocking that choice... just an observation
    But remember, Linux is not Windows, and it will probably never have the same procedures for everything.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Banned
    I know it is not Windows, I do not expect it to be. However one should have the ability to turn off this totally irritating feature.
    As far as getting a virus Linux can and has got them. If they did not not or were not able to get them there would be no need for permission authentication.
    There must be a way via code to disable this feature. If I get infected so be it, that is why I keep a full restore disk image of my Drive which includes the Linux distro.
    I am also tired of every time I fire up my machine all flash and portable drives show up as small windows on start up. It is a pain in the A$$ to close all of them

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast