Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Hi Sarge, I have recently installed Mint on a spare laptop , I thought I would give it a go as it seems to be popular. Like yourself I found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux mint problems

Hi Sarge, I have recently installed Mint on a spare laptop , I thought I would give it a go as it seems to be popular. Like yourself I found it pleasing but not as easy to use as they reckon. I use Ubuntu version 10 on my main computor it is a much easier distro' to get on with. Try it and see if its suits your way of working better, its based on Debian so its rock solid as far as I am concerned. Do not be tempted to try the latest version (11) as its a bit heavy on resources, unless you have a powerful computor. I hope this helps you out, kind regards, Bob.

Banned
    I got the computer a Intel 920 I7 chip overclocked to 3.0 and 12 gig of triple channel memory but I just wiped out the Mint volume and will down load and burn a Ubuntu disc for installation.
    I will use the 32 bit version as that is the one the Ubantu web site recommends I am downloading 10.4 long term support

Banned
    Sorry I belong to the world of diversity and the world of Individualism. I will never be assimilated into the BORG

Just Joined!

not a BORG

Hello again Sarge, me? I'm just an ancient, retired, universal engineer, helping folks out has always been my job and its a tad too late to change now, kind regards, Bob.
    Super-Sarge likes this.

I happen to be running Ubuntu 10.04LTS. Posting from it right now, in fact.
    Just so you know, Mint is based on Ubuntu. So it is still going to ask you for passwords when you make any changes to the system.
    Super-Sarge likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Banned
    I am going to run it along side windows downloading the WUBI installer now and installing the OS. It will run fast enough for me from this configuration as I said I have a Intel 920 CPU which is over clocked and I have 12 gig of triple channel 1600 MHz memory so it will be fast enough for the time being

Banned
    I know it will that's why my password is very short.

Banned
    I loaded Ubuntu via the WUBI installer I did not like at all I want my tak bar on the bottom I not like bars at top of screen nor on the side of screen. After checking things out I am going back to mint

You could just delete the top panel.
    Then add applets to the bottom bar as you see fit.
    Super-Sarge likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Banned
    I am actually getting quite good at loading/installing Mint, I did something playing around with it I totally lost the menu button, I trived the recovery consoul no luck ther so back to windows wiped out the volume and started again from scratch. Now though I am using the 32 bit version even though my ,machine is 64 bit capable as it runs W7 64 bit quite well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast