Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Originally Posted by Super-Sarge I know it is not Windows, I do not expect it to be. However one should have the ability to turn off this totally irritating feature. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Sarge View Post
    I know it is not Windows, I do not expect it to be. However one should have the ability to turn off this totally irritating feature.
    As far as getting a virus Linux can and has got them. If they did not not or were not able to get them there would be no need for permission authentication.
    There must be a way via code to disable this feature. If I get infected so be it, that is why I keep a full restore disk image of my Drive which includes the Linux distro.
    I am also tired of every time I fire up my machine all flash and portable drives show up as small windows on start up. It is a pain in the A$$ to close all of them
    Unix systems have been around long before DOS and have had security built in always. Linux broadly speaking is a Unix clone and enjoys the same security features.

Linux virus? Where did you read that junk? You certainly can't base that statement on knowledge. You are still thinking Linux is a clone of Windows. Over the last 41 years I've worked with many OS's on many hardware platforms that are used by large corporate enterprises, banks and the likes where any such thing as a virus would be be catastrophic. Even hardware downtime at one customer back in the 1970's was costing them 200,000.00 an hour. A quick count of OS's including Linux says I've had experience of 9 professionally.

The one reason to use AV on Linux is so that infected files that are harmless to Linux can't be passed on to Windows boxes where there may be no protection, even then you are at best one step behind the latest attack vector for Windows.

Back in the late 1990's I got an email from one of our managers that wouldn't open on Linux and later in the day another email saying that it had been infected. That means the Windows users who opened it were also infected.

By the way, Bill Gates didn't invent the computer - I once was asked the question "When did Bill Gates invent the computer?". The Linux virus ranks a close second to that notion.
    MikeTbob likes this.

Banned
    It may have been around longer, it dos not make it perfect nor does it make it better. Cars were around before henry Ford what he did though was he was able to get his cars to the everyday person. No Gates did not invent the computer but he was able to get his product to the everyday person. he made the computer user friendly to the user. I find that most folks that are anti Gates usually are envious of the success he has had and in a small group of them are plain snobs. No I am not saying you are either do not read that into this. However I found that people in my age group 60 and above get stuck in our ways. I personally try to think outside the box, but by nature I am a contrary individual.

I agree 100% with some of what you said.
    Linux isn't perfect. And it's not the best... for everyone.
    I can't speak for other forums, but most of us here use Linux because it's the best for us.

I'm also not 'anti-Gates'. I admire him for his early ideas.
    Bringing computing to the masses. Not only was it huge undertaking, but he pulled it off quite nicely.
    Personally, I just don't like Windows as an OS. I find the lack of control irritating. Confining.

And as far as folks in a certain age bracket being stuck in their ways... ask around
    Last edited by jayd512; 07-31-2011 at 05:26 PM.
    MikeTbob likes this.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Like JD said, I too am not anti Gates or Windows per se, I liked 3.1, 98, and xp (mostly). I have a problem with their solution to software piracy; assume everyone is a criminal and limit what they can do with the OS they have legally purchased. Vista, and to some extent XP were bloated and Vista is buggy. I haven't tried 7, nor do I plan to, I am very happy with linux.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-Sarge View Post
    It may have been around longer, it dos not make it perfect nor does it make it better. Cars were around before henry Ford what he did though was he was able to get his cars to the everyday person. No Gates did not invent the computer but he was able to get his product to the everyday person. he made the computer user friendly to the user. I find that most folks that are anti Gates usually are envious of the success he has had and in a small group of them are plain snobs. No I am not saying you are either do not read that into this. However I found that people in my age group 60 and above get stuck in our ways. I personally try to think outside the box, but by nature I am a contrary individual.
    I have nothing to get envious about. I've been at the sharp end of computing development since the 1970's and providing world wide technical support to the largest enterprises on the planet for almost 30 years.
    70 in 6 months time and I've had to deal with everything from early computer based banking terminals to the largest Mainframes, SPARC Enterprise and super computers and I know the importance of security to customers. I expect the same from my computing environment.
    What's an irritant to the few is security to the many. You are still gauging Linux against Windows while I'm gauging Linux on PC's against Linux on SPARC and on Mainframes, Linux against other mature OS's running on those other platforms.
    You have a choice, if the norms in Linux are so getting in the way, feel free to consign it to the dustbin.
    Here at home I have 6 PC's running Linux, one UltraSPARC 5 running Solaris and one Sun SPARC Enterprise 4500 running Solaris and security is as paramount for me as it is for those enterprises I've been involved with supporting and advising over so many years.
    You still haven't given any instances of the viruses you say Linux suffers from. I haven't seen one of them. I've been using Linux since 1992 and in my time installed and dealt with Linux on Mainframes and SPARC and I've yet to encounter one. Just may be I'm that ignorant I wouldn't have realised I was infected.

Sarge, I think the solution for you is to go back to Windows and stay there. You seem incapable of adopting an airman basic mentality, just Super-Sarge, and that won't help you at all. Linux is not, and never will be, Windows. It was designed by different people with different objectives. The objective of Windows is to sell as many copies as possible to ignorant users. It does that very well, and the ease of use leads directly to ease of abuse. Thus the plethora of Windows viruses, malware, trojans, etc. It's very easy for any script kiddy to do, because there is no root password to bypass. Linux was designed to prevent this, and thus there are no known Linux viruses in the wild. But malicious websites can still muck with your computer if they get root access. If you want to learn Linux, then learn to deal with the permissions setup. That's a fact of life running Linux, so get used to it. If you truly don't want to deal with Linux permissions, then forget about it and just run Windows. Whining about permissions here will get you nowhere, nor will it on any other Linux forum. You're going to be laughed out of town, any town. Being a contrary individual is not an asset.
    elija, jayd512 and rokytnji like this.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Sarge, I think the solution for you is to go back to Windows and stay there. You seem incapable of adopting an airman basic mentality, just Super-Sarge, and that won't help you at all. Linux is not, and never will be, Windows. It was designed by different people with different objectives. The objective of Windows is to sell as many copies as possible to ignorant users. It does that very well, and the ease of use leads directly to ease of abuse. Thus the plethora of Windows viruses, malware, trojans, etc. It's very easy for any script kiddy to do, because there is no root password to bypass. Linux was designed to prevent this, and thus there are no known Linux viruses in the wild. But malicious websites can still muck with your computer if they get root access. If you want to learn Linux, then learn to deal with the permissions setup. That's a fact of life running Linux, so get used to it. If you truly don't want to deal with Linux permissions, then forget about it and just run Windows. Whining about permissions here will get you nowhere, nor will it on any other Linux forum. You're going to be laughed out of town, any town. Being a contrary individual is not an asset.
    Well said! I like the reference to "airman mentality" and I've used similar in posts. Every pilot knows that even aeroplanes of the same type need different handling and adapt or die. One day I may be flying C152's and another day PA28's or something else and I have a good appreciation that they need different handling, a different mindset, as many of the controls and their positions are different and a different response is needed for safe flight. As I value my life, such facts are key to my survival. These are not options and I know better than to bellyache as to why they are different.

If I'm dealing with Solaris or any other OS I have had to have knowledge of, appreciating the different approaches necessary is key.

So to ask why Linux does not act like a clone of Windows displays the inability to adapt.
    Last edited by oz; 08-03-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate comment

Banned
    Ok , I will be getting out of this forum if this attitude toward some one inquiring about a new system and making comments about it. I will also recommend to the my friends that are thinking about playing around with Linux not to seek out this forum to get information or to inquire about difficulties about Linux.

Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses? | Linux.com
    I will warn you, though, there was a proof of concept virus for Linux that took advantage of both GNOME and KDE launchers. This code could be added to either the ~/.config/autostart folder (For GNOME) or ~/.kde/Autostart (For KDE). Anyone really paranoid (using either GNOME or KDE) could create a bash script to search for, and delete, any suspicious files (or links) in that directory. Just be careful writing that script so that you do not delete anything important.

Ok , I will be getting out of this forum if this attitude toward some one inquiring about a new system and making comments about it. I will also recommend to the my friends that are thinking about playing around with Linux not to seek out this forum to get information or to inquire about difficulties about Linux.
    Sorry you feel that way. We are a bunch of nice folks and pretty easy going here. Some pretty knowledgeable members here also.

I posted a link on how you could scratch that irritation. You never replied on what steps you took to scratch that itch so as to be helpful to the site here.

By the way. Everyone in my family except for me (my sons included) have served in the Airforce. In fact. When my boy said he wanted to be a Marine like me. I told him. "No , don't do that. They have beer machines in the barracks in the AirForce and the chow is much better". So Welcome to Linux. We have a brotherhood here similar to many brotherhoods throughout the world. You are Welcome and your Friends are Welcome.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

That proof of concept virus is the reason you don't want to run as root. It can only harm files in one user's home folder, not the entire system, unless you give it root privileges. It's also the reason they haven't run wild, as they have in Windows. Removing files in one user's home isn't a serious problem, and it can all be fixed easily. Corrupting system files is another story. No one is saying that Linux viruses aren't possible, just that they're a less serious threat if you use the default permissions. If you routinely run as root, you're inviting all those viruses, plus all the flash/php stuff from websites to come in and destroy your system. What we are saying is that you're much better of learning Linux the correct way from the start. If you don't have the patience for that, you're going to have problems, and hurt other Linux users in the long run. You have the choice of learning new things, or keeping a closed mind. It's up to you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast