Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently I switched to Linux Mint 11 from Windows 7. After switching I was pretty happy with it until I found apps force closing and it kept restarting on me. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed Linux Mint...cannot install another OS

Recently I switched to Linux Mint 11 from Windows 7. After switching I was pretty happy with it until I found apps force closing and it kept restarting on me.
    Unfortunately, I had already uninstalled Windows 7 so the only thing I have now is Mint.
    So, I downloaded Ubuntu, burned it to a USB to install it. However, it will not boot from disk/USB, I checked BIOS and first boot is USB/CDROM.
    I then burned a disc with Ubuntu on it and it still won't boot.

So I inserted my Windows 7 disc and it'll boot from disc to install but says there isn't a partition. I reformatted my hard drive that doesn't have Linux on it to a NTFS and tried again with the same issue.

After several attempts of trying to get another OS I gave up. Can't install from a disc, USB, and even after running the Ubuntu install from Linux Mint seems to say it installed...but it does nothing after restarting.

Please help me in getting Ubuntu installed or at the very least Windows 7.

Hello and Welcome!

One of my first thoughts on apps force closing, or an OS restarting would be a possibly corrupted installation disc.
    Did you check the md5sum before burning your disc?
    Here is a How-To for doing so: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html

As far as Windows 7 not wanting to install, some machines don't like to work with Windows discs after installing Linux... not really sure why that is.

What is your current situation? Are you able to boot into an OS at all on that computer?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I can boot into Mint just fine but I'd like to change to another OS.
    Only reason I have is that I'm used to Windows...shoot me I know.
    I find it difficult to install software and knowing what software to install.
    Performance wise I didn't notice much of a difference other than saving space on my hard drive.

I want to try a more compatible OS, I hear Ubuntu is better but even after burning the install disc, it won't install.

For the software, and knowing what to look for: The Linux Alternative Project

Mint is actually based on Ubuntu, while LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) is rolled from Debian Testing.
    Pick your poison, there

...but even after burning the install disc, it won't install.
    Could you give some details?
    Can you boot up to a Live environment with the disc?
    If so, do you get an error message when attempting to install?
    If not, do you get an error message on the screen?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Misteraxis :

You have an option to go back to window's seven if you prefer by using the install cd that came with your computer. If you don't want to do that then you can use gparted to clean the hard drive and start anew. You will have to go to bios to install the Ubuntu that you have download to usb. Set your bios to look for it at startup."Although Mint rocks" I don't have enough information about what apps your talking about that seem to cause your computer to shutdown? As Jay512 said need more details for sure. One ? thou is it the apps are restarting or your computer?

Just Joined!
    My problem was, I couldn't get any boot disk to boot.
    It would either freeze when trying to boot or boot into Linux.

However, it may have been the default software that came with it, but after burning the boot disc for Ubuntu and Windows 7 it still wouldn't work.

I used a different burning program to burn Ubuntu and got it installed.

Mint was nice looking but I don't notice any difference from Ubuntu to Linux except that Ubuntu seems not not force close programs.

I'm sure it was a bad install of Mint, the clock applet would force close on each restart and I'd have to re add it to the panels.

Thanks for the help, I still want to play in the Ubuntu/Linux play ground so I'll stay with it for now.

So right now you have Ubuntu installed, and running?
    Good deal!

Do post back, though, if you have any issues or questions.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

may I suggest if you don't like Ubuntu to give PClinuxOS 2011.7 a try it's a good solid distro and the hardware detection is great. install takes about 10 mins or less and on my three machines it detects and setup up everything right the first time.