Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey everyone, got a problem that I need help getting fixed. I would greatly appreciate and info/advice /solutions. Also, I am running Linux Mint 10 Julia KDE on a HP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cannot connect to wireless router, newbie and need help.

Hey everyone, got a problem that I need help getting fixed.
    I would greatly appreciate and info/advice /solutions.

Also, I am running Linux Mint 10 Julia KDE on a HP compaq tc4400

I am a very new Linux user, and am stumped on getting my wireless internet to work.
    I am able to connect via Ethernet cord just fine.
    When I try to connect via wireless, it simply will not connect.
    With wireless enabled on both pc and router, I can find the router, select it to connect, I’m prompted to enter the passphrase, I do.

It tries for a long time to set a network address, but ultimately never does.
    I am then prompted to enter a “Hex or Ascil key for 64 or 128 bit).
    The key is auto-filled when this screen pops up with 26 characters, both letters and numbers.

I click okay, wait, still no connection, wait, and the same screen pops back up again prompting for a Hex or Ascil key.

The whole time this is going on, I found the blue light on my computer that indicates wireless on/off is flashing repeatedly. Never had this happen before with windows.

I try looking up this problem but cant find anything much relevant to me and my specific case, or maybe it is and I simply cannot understand the directions to the solution.
    Like I said, totally new to Linux, not quite sure how to go about addressing this problem, and having to always be tethered by a Ethernet cord is not a long term solution.

If anyone can help me out on this, I wouldn’t be able to thank you enough. I will provide any info necessary to help you guys help me.

Thanks everyone,
    Looking forward to your replies.

JohnPage

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I don't do any wireless so can't help with it much, but you can check the following link to get you started, then maybe some wireless users will offer up some help if needed:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    oz