Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to Linux and I just installed Linux Mint 11. When it was first installed it ran fine using two monitors. However after I restarted my PC, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Monitors

Hi, I'm new to Linux and I just installed Linux Mint 11. When it was first installed it ran fine using two monitors. However after I restarted my PC, it would not recognize the second monitor. I even reinstalled it and it worked with both monitors until I shut it down again. I'm not sure what would cause this but any help would be great, thanks!

Just Joined!
    Hi Element

Most likely the tool that was used to change your X settings did not have the permissions to write to the config file. What type of video card do you have and what tool does Mint use to assist with the configuration? While you can modify your X settings by hand, it may be worthwhile to use the built in tools. The gui tools are quite simple these days.

For example, I would typically run the following on my workstation with two displays and an Nvidia card utilizing the nvidia tools:
    gksudo nvidia-settings
    Because I used gksudo, my normal login can modify a file that would normally not be writable as a regular user. The gui tool works as it normally would

Just Joined!
    thanks for your help! i got it to work.