Find the answer to your Linux question:
i am currently unable to 'write' any files while operating in Linux, only in XP...other than that XP&Mint work fine. i ran 'fdisk', did a bit of google research, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ADVICE: Mint/XP NTFS Mount R/W Partition

i am currently unable to 'write' any files while operating in Linux, only in XP...other than that XP&Mint work fine.
    i ran 'fdisk', did a bit of google research, and found a decent article on how to mount the NTFS file system with read/write access.
    however, i am not sure whether this is the best approach to my situation and so i would greatly appreciate any suggestions...please.

here is the link to the article and the results from 'fdisk':

linuxconfig.org/How_to_mount_partition_with_ntfs_file_system_and_r ead_write_access]How to mount partition with ntfs file system and read write access
    (unable to put full address since i have not made 15+ posts)

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60022480896 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7297 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x32d932d8

Hello and Welcome!

I'm a bit confused... Your fdisk info was less than complete. Do you have Linux Installed? What version?
    Windows? What version?

What are you trying to write? Where?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    woops, looks like i didn't copy it all.

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 2436 19564050+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

XP was already installed on the computer. so i found a live version of Mint 9 to install. so initially it just runs like a program over Windows and then there's the option to install. so during that process you partition your HD. i picked the option to have the two running side by side. both OS' boot up/run perfectly. except that i can't 'add' anything while using Mint. i can view/run all the files that were existing before or have to do with XP.

So you went through the install process, and are running from Mint? And you need to know how to install software?
    I see no Linux installation in your fdisk. Did you install?
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-13-2011 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Link was missing..?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    the process during the mint 'install' apparently didn't work because there were no swap or extension partitions like i set up. i didn't realize that this had happened until i was trying to extract a download and it wouldn't let me.
    so now i'm more or less just unsure of which direction to go.

Are you sure that you are posting correct and complete output of fdisk -l command?
    I would suggest you to execute fdisk -l command once more and complete output.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Guru
    so initially it just runs like a program over Windows and then there's the option to install.
    You used mint4win to install Linux Mint as a program inside your windows xp? Did you then reboot the CD and install Mint? I've never used the mint4win option so I don't know how it works. As others have indicated, you have no Linux partition on your drive.

The inability to write would indicate you might just be using the CD??

Just Joined!
    i was aware of the fact that i had no linux partition but i also no longer had the CD in.
    so i was a little puzzled, therefore i posted. however, i ended up booting into XP and ran fdisk on that side-only to discover that i completely forgot about the other IDE HDD installed on that computer. and so that's where the other partitions ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_jo
    however, i ended up booting into XP and ran fdisk on that side-only to discover that i completely forgot about the other IDE HDD installed on that computer. and so that's where the other partitions ended up.
    That's why we all were asking you for the complete output of fdisk -l command.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First