Find the answer to your Linux question:
I feel like this is an age old problem. I've read things about it, but i'm having trouble with it =S What i've done: My computer has two 74.5GB hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual boot?

I feel like this is an age old problem. I've read things about it, but i'm having trouble with it =S

What i've done:
    My computer has two 74.5GB hard drives (labelled sda and sdb on Gparted).
    On one, I wanted to install Linux Mint 9 (the community fluxbox edition).
    On the other, I wanted to install WIndows xp.

I managed to install linux mint 9 on sda.
    When I put the windows disc in and boot up the computer, it tells me that I haven't got any hard drives on my computer. Apparently, I don't have sda or sdb. Instead it just tells me about my external hard drive and mp3 player.

Before linux mint I had ubuntu that dual booted quite easily. Has my installation of linux mint done something to make my computer "forget" that sda and sdb exist?

Any help would be appreciated. I'd also be happy to post information that might be useful, unfortunately I don't know what information is =S

How old is your copy of Windows XP? Really old disks may not recognise your SATA drives. A solution here might be to go onto the Microsoft website and download the official disk image for XP - it's available on there - burn it to a physical disk and use your existing licence code with it (you do have one, don't you?)
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Have you tried to unplug Hard disk having Mint?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    lol, I have got a licence code and everything =p

I didn't know windows did that, I did some googling beforehand and found other forums where people had lost their xp disc. When they phoned up the Microsoft helpdesk they were told to find their disc since they could not provide a new one! Maybe it was an old thread =S

I'll try what you've suggested Roxoff. I found the file here: Download Confirmation - Microsoft Download Center
    I'll try your idea afterwards Casper. I'm slightly wary of disassembling my machine.

Stand by for an update!

Or try disabling your Linux Hard disk in BIOS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Installing Mint with Win XP

From. EdWh
    I just installed mint on two machines with WinXP on one and Win7 Ult on the other. I always install Win first then run the Linux install, t should find your drives and YOU do a manual format for the drive you wish to install Linux to. It will write grub at the end of the install so you have access to both systems. I use one drive and split down the middle instead of two drives and use Acronis to partition the from the windows, this machine has a 1 tb drive split in two separate partitions.