Find the answer to your Linux question:
How hard is this? Can I just run an install from the Live CD? Will this overwrite the Ubuntu install (which would be Okay if I did this)? If that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Replacing Ubuntu with Mint...

How hard is this?

Can I just run an install from the Live CD? Will this overwrite the Ubuntu install (which would be Okay if I did this)?

If that is not going to work, how to do it?

Ed J

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLARbb View Post
    Can I just run an install from the Live CD? Will this overwrite the Ubuntu install (which would be Okay if I did this)
    Hello

Yes, when you run the Mint installer, choose the option to use the partitions that you now have Ubuntu residing on. The installer should format them and then drop Mint onto them, and you should be good to go.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I'll give it a shot if I can''t get ubuntu to cooperate with this old equipment better. I may need a lighter distro for it. Then again, it may just be too out of date.

Ed J

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'll give it a shot if I can''t get ubuntu to cooperate with this old equipment better.
    If you have the latest version of Ubuntu, 11.04 installed and you are having problems with it, you will probably have similar problems with Linux Mint if you use its most recent release as Mint is based on Ubuntu.

If you have an older computer, posting some information on your hardware, specifically RAM would help others to suggest a distributin which would work better for you.

Just Joined!
    Sure. It is Dell Dimension 4300. It has a 1.6 gHz P4 processor, and 1 gb of RAM, the maximum it will take. The video card is an ATI Radeon 7200LE with 32mb video RAM. I have ordered a new video card with an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics chip and 256k video RAM. It will go in the 4x AGP slot in the motherboard. I have also ordered a PCI wireless network adapter card for it so I can have internet on it in my shop where it will live. That card is a Sabrent 802.11n model PCI-802N (seems intuitive almost).

I have also downloaded a version of Lubuntu to try at some time. First thing is to see if the video card helps my situation any.

As far as the equipment goes, I can dig deeper and get more info if there are any questions that I haven't provided an answer to above.

Ed J

Just Joined!
    I have installed Mint 11 on the machine and it is running quite well. However, I'll probably clean up the machine and do another install before too long as I have an instance of SuSe 11.4 (I think that's right) installed, but it will not communicate with the internet for some reason. Mint works with both the Sabrent wireless PCI and the stock ethernet card.

I think the Mint team has done a pretty good job on the distribution. The one I'm using is the main distro. I also have a Kbuntu install within WinXp on this machine that is working well. So, I have plenty of learning to do for now. I ran the install from within Mint off of the live CD. I was thinking that it would overwrite the SuSe install, but it used part of the Linux space for a new partition. That was ok because I want to eventually get the SuSe going too as a comparison.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

EJ

Linux Newbie
    If you have the same problems with Mint 11 LMDE might work better It has the same look an feel as Mint 11 but is based off of Debian instead of Ubuntu; Its a much lighter distro.