Find the answer to your Linux question:
I got the program installed. started the set up then ran into issues when i tried to specify a folder to be used as the virtual hard drive. apparently it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Virtual Box issue

I got the program installed. started the set up then ran into issues when i tried to specify a folder to be used as the virtual hard drive. apparently it wants an iso but there is no option to create one on right clicking the required folder. I found a long shot on searching and typed

install mkisofs
    sudo apt-get install mkisofs

then

mkisofs -o xp.iso /media/cdrom/

well /media/cdrom doesnt exist nor does my memory card yet its visible in the GUI

The answer is probably so basic its escaping me but i can't try the official virtual box forums as it wants me to put the latest released version in yet rejects the information i put

you should be able to use the default location for virtual hard drives, when you try to start the virtual machine virtualbox will need a CD to boot from

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The need for an ISO is basically the installation media for the OS you want to install on the virtual HD. Read the installation documentation. It is quite complete in this regard.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I wasnt told originally i needed an actual copy of the OS. In fact i was told the opposite so that issue is resolved. Suffice to say i'm not at all happy to have been mislead in such a way

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by radiosgalore View Post
    I wasnt told originally i needed an actual copy of the OS. In fact i was told the opposite so that issue is resolved. Suffice to say i'm not at all happy to have been mislead in such a way
    Misled? How? Virtual machines are just that, virtual computer hardware. You still need to install a functional operating system in them, and if that is a proprietary (not free / open source) system, then you need a legitimate copy to install. That is a given. Don't blame others for your misunderstanding and lack of due diligence!

I run Windows XP in a virtual machine, and I do have a properly licensed copy to do so. You can run most any other operating system in a VM without requiring licenses, such as Linux, BSD Unix, Solaris (for personal use), QNX (trial versions available), etc. Microsoft operating systems are another matter, and do require a licensed (not OEM) copy to install. I tried to install an OEM copy of Windows in a VM (from an HP PC to test some problems my client was having), but it refused to install on anything but an HP-branded PC.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!