Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Dell Inspiron 1440. I'm running win7 and when I installed linux mint 10, I had to install the B43 firmware to make the wireless driver work. About ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless drivers not working/unable to get online via wireless

I have a Dell Inspiron 1440. I'm running win7 and when I installed linux mint 10, I had to install the B43 firmware to make the wireless driver work. About two weeks ago, my wireless stopped working.
    What happens is, if, after logging into linux, I hurry, I can get the Mozilla or Chrome browsers to get to home page and then my wireless disconnects and I can't get back online. After trying everything I can think of and reviewing tutorials until my brain is leaking out of my ears, I'm still unable to stay online. It's the same thing everytime. If I don't jump right online after I log in, the wireless will connect and disconnect. I've tried changing what settings are available by no joy. I've tried re-activating the driver and still can't get online. Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming you had a kernel update during this time and that might be the problem. Can you boot into your previous kernel and see if that works?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    How would I do that? Does linux have restore points via win?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    When you boot there should be a menu of versions you can run. The default is always the most recent so try choosing an earlier one to run. If you don't see the menu, try pressing the Shift key or the Escape key to display it.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    When I went to log in, the only thing I could get was recovery mode. When I installed linux on the computer, I saw a tutorial that said I could get better performance by mounting my drives but when I did this, one of the drives didn't mount. One one of the guys (on another website) asked for some info and I gave it to them. Apparently, when I installed linux, I didn't partition the drives very well so I'm thinking about a reinstall. I do have a number of apps on there that I really love. Do you know of a way I can back up my current app population to reinstall it? I think a lot of the problems I'm having are due to the way I installed linux on my system and it's time to start over. I would like to see if I can fix this problem of the my wireless first though because I have a feeling you're right about an update causing this problem. Even if I start over, that update will come back to me eventually and I'll end up in the same place.
    When I booted up, I hit the shift key and tried the esc key but the only options I got, at bootup, was to start linux the standard way and in recovery mode. When I started it in recovery mode, it stopped where the drive I had mis-mounted earlier didn't mount. I really think the thing to do is study some installation tutorials and start over. What's your opinion? I'm not going to give up on linux. I love it too much. It's light and fast and, in my opinion, the only way to surf.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    The mint backup tool may be able to do that for you. I'm not at home at the moment so can't confirm for sure but I think it will save a text file that you can use to install the same software on a new install.

[edit]
    I suspect it just does this. You will be interested in the Debian / Ubuntu sections
    [/edit]
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thank you. I really appreciate your help. It's been a learning curve but I've definitely fallen in love with linux. I installed mint on an old compac laptop my Mom got me and am about to put another 512MB stick in it just to speed the thing up a little. To tell you how old it is, it's max ram is 1GB. It was running win2K and has a pent4 processor. I was going to throw it away when a guy at work said to put linux on it and viola, I have a really great work computer (I'm a copier tech and have to do network installs) that if I lose it, it's no biggie but I get some really good perfromance from it. My Mom used the thing for about a year and a half and put it away so it's like brand new. Linux gave the old girl some new life.

Glad you are having fun with Linux, that's what it's all about if you ask me. Having fun and resuscitating old machines goes hand in hand.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.