Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have windows 2000 and linux gloria on my computer which is only about 8 GB so I definitely have to get rid of one. But I have no idea ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Windows 2000/Linux 7 mint gloria how to delet an OS

I have windows 2000 and linux gloria on my computer which is only about 8 GB so I definitely have to get rid of one. But I have no idea how to delete either. no idea how to get to windows 2000 boot menu either to just reinstall a fresh linux to take up the entire disk.

Can anyone please help me with this?

Also it would not let me upgrade to linux 8. And to delete windows 2000 i could edit the boot.ini file but it won't let me.

Thank you in advance.

Hello and Welcome!

Are you wanting to install Mint to the entire drive? If so, the easiest method would be to download and burn a copy of Mint to a CD. The more recent versions are 10 and 11.
    Boot up with the CD in your CDROM. The installer should give you the option to take the whole drive.

Before doing anything, though, make sure that you make a backup of anything that you would like to save.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Hmm

Well I was trying to see if I could do it by usb but I don't know if the computer will load with the usb because I can't get to the boot menu. I don't actually have a cd burner right now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Installing with a USB stick is possible. See here: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

Quote Originally Posted by carrie_kanidra View Post
    ...but I don't know if the computer will load with the usb because I can't get to the boot menu.
    You mean that you can't access the BIOS upon powering on the computer?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

If its an old computer or new for that matter, you need to enter the BIOS settings and change the boot order.

Pushing "DEL" or "ESC" on start up usually will either enter the BIOS settings or will bring up a line saying "press F2 to enter BIOS settings."

Once in there depending on how new your computer is, you should fine a tab or section that has BOOT and BOOT priority. Usually setting it so that the CD drive has higher priority over the HDD is enough, so you can boot from a USB. But older computers might also have a FAT or UDF (like) option in which case you'll need to select that.

Also you will need to get a USB iso creator software which is easy to find, so that the USB can mount the iso image.

Iam not sure of the names of any, hopefully someone can fill in that gap for you.

NOTE: There is no need to delete Windows 2000 before installing Mint. Mint has paritioning software to erase or change the layout as desired, as mentioned above.

On a side note, where did you get your Windows 2000 Edition from, i been after a legit copy of 2000 for awhile. Especially the Professional version.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    NOTE: There is no need to delete Windows 2000 before installing Mint. Mint has paritioning software to erase or change the layout as desired, as mentioned above.

On a side note, where did you get your Windows 2000 Edition from, i been after a legit copy of 2000 for awhile. Especially the Professional version.
    She mentioned that she has an 8 GB drive... So I'm guessing that it's an OEM copy that came with the computer.
    Meaning that partitioning layout is somewhat limited, simply for size reasons.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Oh... Damn!

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    I don't know where you can get a copy either, but if I'm stuck w/Windows, that is the version I like, too. The version I have I got at a local Computer show/Expo several years ago.