Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, First I wanted to apologize if this topic already has been covered in earlier postings (did a quick search and did not find anything). Today I decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Mint 12 Mount Error: While Experimenting

Hi All,

First I wanted to apologize if this topic already has been covered in earlier postings (did a quick search and did not find anything). Today I decided to experiment with Mount options via the Gnome Mate drive utility in the Control Center.

I went to the area of mount permissions (ownership) clicked on group access to mount (did this for all of my partitions (including separate / partition)) and initially I entered ‘Admin’ as the group for all of my partitions (/var /usr /opt /swap /home) but checked the listing of groups and realized that the group name is not ‘Admin’ but 'admin'.

I changed all of the mount group access permissions to 'admin'. I rebooted my system after installing some unrelated software and that is when I found out that the change for my ‘partition did not get saved. BTW I am using the ‘XFS’ file system.

In the reboot process system halted and gave the following error:

Code:
     udevd [343]: Specified group ‘Admin’ unknown.
    Mountall:  Mount / [849]: Permission denied.
    I even tried to enter recovery mode via grub menu option and got this error (in addition to the one above):

Code:
    Could not find whiptail, starting root shell instead of Recovery Menu.
    I then pressed CTRL D as requested and entered my password; but did not know to proceed.
    I was wondering if there is a way to fix this problem I got myself into without reinstalling Mint (Lisa)?

If So, can someone give me detailed instructions on how to solve this. It would greatly be appreciated.

BR,

Daniel R.
    Last edited by drajc07; 01-26-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: I am editing post to make it easier to read.

boot from a live CD/pen drive, then mount relevant partitions and make changes as required ... if your changing permissions on filesystems it may also be worth chrooting into the system ...