Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place; or if the title is descriptive enough for others with the same problem to find. Still, here ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place; or if the title is descriptive enough for others with the same problem to find. Still, here goes:

I've got Linux Mint upo and running, and it's pretty cool. However, whenever I'm talking on Skype with my friends, they all report that they can hear my audio from my PC clearly.

I use a headset for Skype calls, and it's never been a problem through Windows. When I tinkered around with my audio settings, I can clearly see that the audio from my PC is transmitting through the mic. This is especially annoying for my frineds when we're watching a live stream together, as they get 'echoes' from the stream as I'm transmitting it to them as well as them getting the audio from their stream.

I heard that Linux Mint uses PulseAudio, so I installed some of the config packaged (pavu-control or somesuch), but it doesn't seem to have the option to seperate my audio channels.

I'm using the audio from my motherboard, as I don't have a seperate sound card. I'm using the audio jacks on the front of my PC.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very grateful. If you need mroe information on my setup or whatever, just ask and I will try to answer

Thank you in advance!

I'm looking into this, I use skype with no problem at all so this is interesting. You're saying they can hear let's say, a song if you're playing music over headphones?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Thank you for answering! ^_^

Yeah, they can hear everything I do. My friend and I tend to play games fairly frequently, and he gets all of my audio. We have watched a couple of livestreams together (or, 'simultaneously' to be more precise), and he seems to get the stream audio from me a couple of seconds before the stream plays it on his PC, which I can imagine is unpleasant.

I have checked around on Google and tried downloading the packages stated above in order to resolve the issue, but Linux Mint does not seem to have any way to seperate the audio channels as far as I can see.

If you can provide any help at all with my issue, I would be very grateful. ^_^

Just to be sure, are you running the latest Skype for Linux??

Download the latest version of Skype for Linux

I've never run Mint but I've never had this problem with Ubuntu or Bodhi so I'm curious as to what's going on as they are all based on Ubuntu. Seems like it's recording internally, I'll continue checking into it.

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    The version I'm using is 2.2.0.35, I'm running a 64-bit Mint, though, but I'm not sure if my Skype is 64-bit. Only gives me 2.2.0.35 when I type:

Code:
    $ Skype --version
    Being as I only installed the OS about 2 weeks ago, and I did it from a CD and then upgraded to the DVD version after installation, I'd imagine that Synaptic Package Manager would have sorted this out for me; although I have no way to be sure.

Let me know if you need any more information about my setup etc...

Just Joined!
    Hi again,

I noticed something weird the other day; I plugged my headset into the back ports on my PC (the ones that are on the motherboard directly; not the ones on the front of the case) and tried it like that.

When I was speaking to my friend with background music playing, they noted that they couldn't hear anything. Later on when I played a game online with my frineds, they couldn't hear the game noises from my machine either. When I plugged the headset and mic back into the print ports on my case again, they could hear everything as they normally could.

Does this mean it could be a hardware issue, or is it something to do with PulseAudio having seperate audio settings for each of the output devicec (I don't know how accurate that is, but this is the impression my system sound settings gives)

Thanks again for your help.

Sorry for not replying earlier, completely slipped my mind. As for your new findings, does that port work fine in Windows? If it does, unlikely it's a hardware problem, more likely it's a pulse problem dealing with the two inputs. I'm going to send a message to a couple of the pulse devs if you tell me that it's not a problem in Windows, see what they say