Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey guys im so sorry if this is a much asked question but im failing to understand lol. ive just moved from windows to linux mint and i know how ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

so new and need help please

hey guys im so sorry if this is a much asked question but im failing to understand lol.
    ive just moved from windows to linux mint and i know how to use the software installer but i dont know ho to install programes that i have downloaded of the net it open with archive manager and from there i have no clue.

also is there a programe that will automatically install downloaded programes/packages much like windows.

thanks for any help

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

You can check the following link for a HowTo article that explains many different ways to install software under Linux, depending on the type of package you are trying to install:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...are-linux.html
    oz

Hello and Welcome!

Installing software in Linux is quite different than in Windows.
    With Mint, there are several options.
    First, look in your System menu for (I think) the Software Center. You can browse different software, and install from there.
    Or, you can use the terminal, which is similar to the Windows command prompt. Simply do something like this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install <package>
    There is also Synaptic. Yet another way to find and install different programs.

Further information can be found in something called a man page. It's basically a manual to a command.
    Open your terminal.
    Code:
    man apt-get
    man synaptic
    There is also aptitude.
    Code:
    man aptitude
    They all do the job nicely. So take a look at them, and use the one that you are most comfortable with.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

3 basic methods

Hi,

Welcome to Linux Forums! Do not be afraid to ask anything. I will try to summarize few basic things.

1. First of all, always try to use the Software Manager to install. This manager connects with servers to get quality-controlled .deb installation files. (BTW: you can add such servers, called repositories).

2. You can also find those .deb files on project pages of the software: download it and when you double-click it, software manager will install it.

3. Some software is not available as .deb installation files. Instead, you will find a .tar.gz or .tgz, or tar.bz2,... in other words, a compressed archive. When you find it, you can unpack it with archive manager. Normally, developers are so kind to provide an README or INSTALL file in there, in which you will find instructions to install ('compile') the program. You can open these by double-clicking. Then follow the instructions in there (often this requires use of the command line - do not be afraid though ).

Hope this helps you further!

Joachim