Find the answer to your Linux question:
I had installed Linux Mint a few times, on several machines. But I never ran into this problem. Got a 2011 HP laptop, with a 64bit structure, 4GB RAM (running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Mint install problems

I had installed Linux Mint a few times, on several machines. But I never ran into this problem. Got a 2011 HP laptop, with a 64bit structure, 4GB RAM (running on Windows 7) and I used the DVD install disk for LM 12 64bit. All I am getting is the initial Linux screen that says 'booting in xx seconds'. Then the screen goes dark. The DVD drive makes a lot of sounds, but absolutely nothing happens. So after 3 or 4 minutes I try another LM 12 64bit disk. Same problem. I tried a LM11 32bit, which I had around. This one loads, with some error messages that pop up initially, and the colors are at first all messed up. Eventually LM 11 is ready. However, it does not detect my Wireless Internet connection. The rest works. Discouraging... Would appreciate your comments and help. Thanks.

Can you give more specs about your system? I suspect it's a graphics card issue for LM12, for 11, is your problem that your system doesnt' see your specific network or your card isn't working at all? If the card isn't working then can you connect the machine to the net wired and then install the wireless driver?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Here are some specs on my system: Processor AMD A4-3300M APU, Graphics AMD Radeon HD6480G, AMD Sata controller, Network WiFi Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet Realtek PCI.
    My Wifi card works fine under Windows 7 and the Wifi is automatically established at startup. With Linux, the Wifi button doesn't come on to ready state.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gallicbear View Post
    Here are some specs on my system: Processor AMD A4-3300M APU, Graphics AMD Radeon HD6480G, AMD Sata controller, Network WiFi Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n, Ethernet Realtek PCI.
    My Wifi card works fine under Windows 7 and the Wifi is automatically established at startup. With Linux, the Wifi button doesn't come on to ready state.
    Thanks
    This may help for getting newest Mint working:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=94299

As for wireless, just means driver isn't installed, are you able to get to a wired connection and then install driver? If not you'll have to download it on another machine (or on Windows boot) and install manually (a bit more tricky)

Edit: Instructions for wireless: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...highlight=5390
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Thanks, jmadero, for all your input. I appreciate your help and I'll try all that.