Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm relatively new to Linux, but from what I'd been able to gather from my limited usage, I'd say Linux is generally faster and less processor intensive than Windows. This, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Heating problems on Linux Mint

I'm relatively new to Linux, but from what I'd been able to gather from my limited usage, I'd say Linux is generally faster and less processor intensive than Windows. This, I can observe on my desktop PCs, both of which are dual-booting Windows/Linux.

Not so on my laptop however. Windows runs perfectly fine. Whenever I boot into Linux, the fan goes bonkers and the laptop heats up like mad, even if the least number of processes are running. (Linux Mint 12)

I'd say that the heat generated by running Linux is roughly the same as running a game on Windows, which baffles me. I thought it'd be more like the other way around.

I've tried other distros, too ... Ubuntu 11, Debian, Fedora 16, Mandriva. Same problem. Mint just happens to be the one I'm using right now.

My PC Specs:
    CPU - Intel Core i7 at 2.00GHz, Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM - 6.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 at 665MHz
    Motherboard - Dell Inc. 0MY6GN (CPU)
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 2GB

Any help would be appreciated

Just Joined!
    I have the same problem with my Compaq Presario CQ62. And after a little bit of experiments w/ other mobile devices I have seen that this problem is independent from hardware and must be fixed by OS builders and/or kernel developers I guess. Using Ubuntu oneiric these days, have seen that it is a good way to keep programs in different work spaces, rather than running them all in one work space... This makes slightly less resource spent and has a minor effect in the heat. So I can suggest you to use distros/configurations that need less resources. If its is a major problem, likely to cause hardware damage, check your pc's hardware health, because Linux doesn't cause that much of heat usually.