Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've just installed Mint12 alongside windows 7 and the wireless connection doesn't work. I tried installing the drivers in the windows wireless drivers but still doesn't work. I'm a newbie. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless not working on Mint12

I've just installed Mint12 alongside windows 7 and the wireless connection doesn't work. I tried installing the drivers in the windows wireless drivers but still doesn't work. I'm a newbie. Can someone help me.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I don't do any wireless so can't help with it much, but you can start here and someone should be able to help you after you've returned to this thread and posted the output of the commands.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks Oz,

This is what I got:

Code:
     Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
    	Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0510]
    	Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
    	Kernel modules: wl, bcma, brcmsmacff:

Code:
    uname -r
    3.0.0-12-generic
    Code:
    dmesg | grep firmware
    [   17.431638] elantech: assuming hardware version 2, firmware version 4.0.2

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry, by
    Quote Originally Posted by GabrielBueno View Post
    I tried installing the drivers in the windows wireless drivers
    do you mean you are trying to use the Windows drivers in NDISwrapper?

Just Joined!

Cool See if you can get updates

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielBueno View Post
    I've just installed Mint12 alongside windows 7 and the wireless connection doesn't work. I tried installing the drivers in the windows wireless drivers but still doesn't work. I'm a newbie. Can someone help me.
    Usually Mint can see an Ethernet connection. Try removing the security from your connection temporarily. Plug the computer directly into your cable modem or router.

If your computer can't physically reach the router or modem, get a wireless Ethernet bridge and open up your network so that you don't need wpa_supplicant.

Get all your updates and then reboot. Re-secure your wireless and see if your card doesn't show up. While getting updates, see if you can't also get the KDE desktop. Gnome and LXDE sometimes have trouble getting online when KDE doesn't.

Of course, never leave your network insecure for the long term. Treat this as an emergency.

If you still have no luck, it may be best to backup your /home directory and try out various live media for different distros to see if there is something else out there that "just works" with all your hardware and accessories. In many cases, switching distros is faster and easier then fighting with a distro making it do something it can't or won't do.

If your computer is a desktop, you can also go to the hardware compatibility list and get a wireless card known to work for Mint. Like getting a wireless bridge, this does involve spending money. Getting a card that works can be considered the easiest solution as it doesn't involve any experimentation or backing up and then restoring your system. If you do this, I would remove the card that doesn't work from the machine.

If you have a laptop, don't give up. See if there is a PCM-CIA card or a USB card that is on the list.

Mint is known to work with more types of hardware then many other distros. I'm sure that there is something out there that works.

Good luck !!

Did it ever work? or does it work if you just run the live cd? I also ran into an issue like this but it was after I ran the system update.