Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
also, i was looking at drivers here and got a little confused. Is there a better place to go? Sorry--totally not sure what I'm doing. netbookfiles.com/netbook/HP/Mini-110...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

also, i was looking at drivers here and got a little confused. Is there a better place to go? Sorry--totally not sure what I'm doing.
    netbookfiles.com/netbook/HP/Mini-110

Just Joined!
    Hmmm.

Can you do the following please?

1) Tell me the exact make/model of your laptop. There seem to be a lot of HP Mini 110 around but I imagine they are all slightly different.

2) Open terminal and type in 'lspci' (without the ' marks) and paste the output here. I'm trying to see what hardware you have in your laptop. It is a long long time since I've seen a PC that linux does not recognise the ethernet...

In the mean time, I have you tried looking here? >>

h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=321957&pr odSeriesId=3943764&taskId=135

I haven't looked further than this page .

Regards

Just Joined!
    it's a HP Mini 110-3830nr PC...
    and here is the code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. Device 5390

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks.

Right. Your lspci shows that your ethernet controller is RTL8101E which, according to a quick google search, is not supported. Why, I'm not sure. Anyway I've found some instructions on a debian forum. As Mint is debian based, it may still work.

Address: forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42324

Forum title is: 'REALTEK 8101E and 8102E Drivers Howto' in case you need google to find it.

As for your wifi, have you tried getting the drivers from the website in my previous post and using ndiswrapper to install them? This may still be the best way forward. Alternatively, have you looked here >>

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1751685

This post seems to be about getting the Ralink corp. Device 5390 working with ubuntu which according to your lspci is what your wifi card is.

I realise that this is going to be tricky but good luck.

As a final thought for this post, have you tried other linux distros? It may be that another distro has these drivers ready. Use unetbootin and a usb stick and try some live versions. My recommendations would be 1) Ubuntu 2)Fedora, 3)opensuse

Let me know how you get on with this. If no luck then we'll have to think on..

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsago View Post
    I realise that this is going to be tricky but good luck.

As a final thought for this post, have you tried other linux distros? It may be that another distro has these drivers ready. Use unetbootin and a usb stick and try some live versions. My recommendations would be 1) Ubuntu 2)Fedora, 3)opensuse

Let me know how you get on with this. If no luck then we'll have to think on..
    i'm sort of overwhelmed, but thank you for your suggestions. i'll try playing around a little. my first tries with ubuntu didn't work, so when mint finally loaded i got excited. i'm not sure i can retrace my steps and create the live USB again... i forget what i did... i had some help when i did it, too.

will let you know how it goes with trying to find drivers, etc. thanks again.

Just Joined!
    Sorry, I didn't mean to overwhelm you.

To create a live image you will need:
    1> A computer with an internet connection
    2> A copy of Unetbootin (it's free and available on linux, windows & I believe mac
    3> A blank USB flash drive (+4Gb is recommended but I use a 1Gb all the time - it depends on the size of the image). If you don't have a flash drive you can also try with a memory card. I have used my camera's SD card several times. It is a good idea to format before each use.

>Download & install/run Unetbootin
    >Select from the top dropdown box the OS you want
    >Select the USB device from the dopdown box at the bottom
    >Unetbootin will download and install the OS on to the usb stick. Then reboot and choose the usb device from the boot menu
    >et Voila...

Hope this is more useful

Just Joined!
    Not sure if you are still looking for an answer for the rtl8101e driver but you can download the needed driver from Realtek. Make sure you use the linux link.

Searching

02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. Device 5390
    which seems to be your wireless chip on the HP. I read at Gentoo forums,

It is supported by default, though I think only starting with kernel 3.1
    So find yourself a distro I guess with a newer kernel

Linux Mint 13 will be named “Maya” and should be available at the end of May 2012.
    Mint 13 will come with a 3.3 kernel.

or install a newer kernel in Mint 11.
    3.3.1 Intel Atom (945GME chipset) Netbook Liquorix Kernel compiled on Linux Mint 12 LXDE Pateo's Blog
    don't forget to run update-grub command in terminal after a new kernel install.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    i went here... realtek.com.tw/downloads/
    then here...

realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=7&PFid=7&Level=5& Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#RTL8100E/RTL8101E/RTL8102E-GR/RTL8103E(L)%3Cbr%3ERTL8102E(L)/RTL8101E/RTL8103T%3Cbr%3ERTL8401/RTL8401P/RTL8105E%3Cbr%3ERTL8402

safari on my working computer wouldn't let me open the LINUX driver for kernel 3.x and 2.6.x and 2.4.x

further advice please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2