Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Mint 11, and the speed on the main server is sub 50K/s. Have a cable connection, and Peppermint One has speeds of 1mb/s to 1.7mb/s. Specs are: MSI 723 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mint repositories

Running Mint 11, and the speed on the main server is sub 50K/s. Have a cable connection, and Peppermint One has speeds of 1mb/s to 1.7mb/s. Specs are: MSI 723 MOBO, AMD FX 8120 8 core processor, 8 gig DDR3, 128 gig Samsung SSD, 1 gig NVIDIA card.

Is that the speeds guaranteed by your provider? If it's 1 MBit/second that just 125 kb/s, furthermore legally they only have to provide something like 75% of the speed they guarantee (the # they give is only a maximum that it could get to if you were located right next to one of their hubs). So let's say you're losing 25% from your internet provider that means you're down to about 90kb/s. If you're saying you download other things (whatever other things) at 1 megabyte (not megabit) per second, well then there is a problem

Post your #'s from speedtest.net (upload and download). I don't use Mint but I remember in Ubuntu Synaptic is the package manager. If this is the same with you go to synaptic, settings -> repository -> on the main tab you'll see "Download From" halfway down, select drop down, go to "Other" and do "Select Best Server"

Side note, hefty machine you have there Do you ever get past using 2 gigs of the RAM using Mint? I have 4 gigs and I see 3.25 sitting in reserve 99% of the time, lol
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!

Linux Mint speeds

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    Is that the speeds guaranteed by your provider? If it's 1 MBit/second that just 125 kb/s, furthermore legally they only have to provide something like 75% of the speed they guarantee (the # they give is only a maximum that it could get to if you were located right next to one of their hubs). So let's say you're losing 25% from your internet provider that means you're down to about 90kb/s. If you're saying you download other things (whatever other things) at 1 megabyte (not megabit) per second, well then there is a problem

Post your #'s from speedtest.net (upload and download). I don't use Mint but I remember in Ubuntu Synaptic is the package manager. If this is the same with you go to synaptic, settings -> repository -> on the main tab you'll see "Download From" halfway down, select drop down, go to "Other" and do "Select Best Server"

Side note, hefty machine you have there Do you ever get past using 2 gigs of the RAM using Mint? I have 4 gigs and I see 3.25 sitting in reserve 99% of the time, lol
    No, these actual speeds. RR says 7mb/s, but I'll take 1.5 mb/s. I have already tried the select best server, and no difference.
    Just put this box together March 24, and still tweaking. Boot time on Linux, from turning machine on, is around 25 seconds.
    Thanks for the quick response.

what RR is saying is Megabits not Megabytes to get your megabytes per second you need to divide the # by 8 (so if you're getting 1.5 Megabytes on a 7 Megabit guarantee, you're doing good). If select best server isn't helping maybe just manually try a few other servers. I think they use ping to select best server, not necessarily fastest upload speeds.

25 seconds for a SSD isn't too good, with tweaking I've seen sub 10 for SSD. I run around 18 seconds with a standard hard drive. If you're saying 25 seconds including the BIOS screen that wastes 7-10 seconds then that makes more sense
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all your suggestions jmadero, I really appreciate it. I removed Mint, and re-installed Peppermint 2, 64 bit. I'm good to go. BTW, my DL speed is averaging 1352 kb/s, from UT.