Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a newbie to Linux entirely but somewhat comfortable using DOS when provided the instructions so here goes. I have downloaded and cut an ISO disk with Mint 12 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First Basic Questions for Newbie

I am a newbie to Linux entirely but somewhat comfortable using DOS when provided the instructions so here goes.

I have downloaded and cut an ISO disk with Mint 12 which I want to do a clean install to a spare system that I have. I also grabbed a copy of the manual and several of the other guides to help out.

My System
    MSI 785GT-E63 Motherboard
    X64 Based PC
    AMD Penom II x6 1090T Processor (6 cores)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX-460 video card
    Kingston KVR800D2/1GB (4 gigs total RAM-have ordered some new RAM to take this up to 8gb)
    Two Western Digital 10,000rpm Raptor SATA drives
    Lite-On ATAPI iHBS212 Sata DVD/Blu-Ray Burner

What are the various differences between Mint 12 LXDE, Mint 12 KDE and Linux Mint 12,? Based on the info above which one is probably the best choice for me as a newbie to proceed with? I mainly am an Internet/Email user but also dabble extensively in photo and video editing.

I want to set up a Raid 0 drive so does Mint 12 have that option? Ran a search and starting copying some notes from this and other forums but not quite sure if the answers I am looking for were answered. Is doing so an option when you begin the install of Mint 12 and do I have to enter the MB BIOS first to set up the Raid array? Saw a lot of discussion between software raid and hardware raid and that was not quite clear as what the difference is. My understanding of computers is that you need the software to enable the hardware to work but that didnít seem to be what the discussion was about. Bottom line Ė Does the Mint 12 install give you the option to install a Raid 0 array and is this really a good idea for a newbie? I back up religiously and am not worried about losing data should a drive fail.

Should I use the 64 bit or 32 bit?

Guess that should be a good enough start and hope someone wonít mind helping out.

Thanks!

Hello there! Welcome to LinuxForums!

Good questions. I'll try a few of them to get you started.
    I can't give details on RAID, as I've never dabbled with it. But all modern Linux Distros are capable of dealing with it.

What are the various differences between Mint 12 LXDE, Mint 12 KDE and Linux Mint 12,?
    Mostly, you're looking at a different GUI and same underlying system. As a new Linux User, you might find KDE to be slightly more familiar to what you're used to in the Windows/OSX world. KDE is a little more resource heavy than other GUIs (RAM usage), but is preferred by quite a few folks.
    Based on the info above which one is probably the best choice for me as a newbie to proceed with? I mainly am an Internet/Email user but also dabble extensively in photo and video editing.
    Pick one... they'll all do the same jobs equally. It will really be down to what you want for an interface.
    And if you decide that you don't like any of them, other GUIs are but an install away.
    Should I use the 64 bit or 32 bit?
    If you're beefing up to 8 GB RAM, I'd say 64-bit, just so it's all available for any photo/video work you have planned.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Jay,
    Thanks for the quick response. Think I will stick with the Mint 12 as I ready to go with it. Do you think when I do the install it will recognize a Cisco USB wireless key (not that new but not that old) that I use to connect to the Internet or should I plug in the LAN line. I want to use the wireless if it will work.

Mint is usually pretty good about picking up on wireless drivers.
    So I'd try that first. If it doesn't work right away, you can take a look here and we can see about getting you set up.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I am ready to load the disk and give it a go but one last qestion. Do you think that 4gb of Ram will be enough for the 64 bit? Thanks again and will be back later.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowshot View Post
    Do you think that 4gb of Ram will be enough for the 64 bit?
    Easily. Some folks use a 64-bit OS with only 2 or 3 GB RAM, just to take advantage of the small performance differences offered by the CPU.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    you sometime run into problems with 64-bit, specially with proprietary softwares like flash player, skype etc... which don't have (and they usually don't have) 64-bit support. there are work arounds for those problems but it can be daunting for a newbie.

The best "layman's language" description of the difference Linux desktop editions I've ever seen can be found at
    Linux Mint Forums • View topic - What is the difference between Debian, Fluxbox, XFCE, ...

It describes in "ordinary" language about KDE, Gnome, LXDE, Xfce, etc.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you are going to 8GB then you will need to go 64 bit to use all of it

I don't know about raid as I have had the need to use it but I don't recall seeing it in the Mint installer. Mint as a distro tries to make sensible choices for most beginners so probably no raid in the installer.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!