Find the answer to your Linux question:
As a computer user i started working on ubuntu. When Unity came, which i don't like a friend of mine told me about mint. So i did install mint and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem installing .run file

As a computer user i started working on ubuntu. When Unity came, which i don't like a friend of mine told me about mint. So i did install mint and it is worken now but i have a problem with my .run file. I downloaded some applications from microchip. when done i marked them as axecutable but when i try to run them from the terminal nothing happens. From the directory where the files are in i execute the following command "sudo ./mplabc18-v3.40-linux-full-installer.run". I am not very experienced with linux and can't find out what i am doing wrong. Under ubuntu it worked well but i don't want to fo back.

Thanks in advance

Those files will not run in Linux. In general with rare exception, we do NOT download stuff from some web site and install it in Linux! Most (preferably all) of your software should come from the repositories provided by Mint (they include the Ubuntu repositories). Use the Mint software manager or Synaptic Package manger to install software, not downloading whatever sounds cool from some web site.

Almost everything there is for Windows has a Linux counterpart. Some Windows stuff will run inside a windows "emulator" called WINE (included in Mint by default I think). Here is a pretty good list of the Linux equivalent programs.

Just Joined!
    First, it is not just som random cool stuff but i just want to install some development tools for my microcontroller and FPGA projects. They came available as .run installer and work on ubuntu very well. Untill lately the were only available for windows so i am very happy with the step they made to linux. I hope the packages will become available within some package manager but they did not make that step for now. I guess i will have to go back to ubuntu so i can use these packages. To bad..

Thanks for the help Sidekick

Are you on 32 or 64 bit Mint? does this help?
    have you tried
    Code:
    sudo -s
    ./mplabc18-v3.40-linux-full-installer.run

Just Joined!
    I am working on a 64 bit version of Mint. At first ther wasn't any form of error message. After installing the 32 bit libraries (ia32-libs) i received the following error:

GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

I tried this on Ubunut and it worked fine. Bot installed as 64 bit. Any suggesions?

@Jonathan: I tried it. but gives the same result. What does the -s option do?

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitmans View Post
    @Jonathan: I tried it. but gives the same result. What does the -s option do?
    starts a shell, check man pages. I have found it sometimes helps rather than trying sudo some_command

Just Joined!

.run file execution

You should be able to execute a .run file or .bundle file using the following command in a terminal window:

sudo sh [name of file without brackets].run or .bundle
    Sometimes the file needs to be set as an executable to work properly.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitmans View Post
    As a computer user i started working on ubuntu. When Unity came, which i don't like a friend of mine told me about mint. So i did install mint and it is worken now but i have a problem with my .run file. I downloaded some applications from microchip. when done i marked them as axecutable but when i try to run them from the terminal nothing happens. From the directory where the files are in i execute the following command "sudo ./mplabc18-v3.40-linux-full-installer.run". I am not very experienced with linux and can't find out what i am doing wrong. Under ubuntu it worked well but i don't want to fo back.

Thanks in advance