Find the answer to your Linux question:
This weekend I finally gave up on my current Windows setup and tried to do a fresh install of Vista (I know, don't say it.) and started thinking the the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

need help runnning adobe CS5 creative suite

This weekend I finally gave up on my current Windows setup and tried to do a fresh install of Vista (I know, don't say it.) and started thinking the the only thing which has really tied me to Windows are the Adobe products.

I'm a front-end developer by trade so I rely on these products pretty heavily. If I was pressed, I could get by with Photoshop, Illustrator and either InDesign or Fireworks. I currently have the CS5 Design Premium suite.

My idea was to either use Wine to run the suite (I've read several tutorials and most say there are some imperfections) or to run a a virtual machine with windows and install it there and then use it when I need it.

My question is how possible is this as a permanent solution to my problem. I absolutely love Linux (I've used Mandriva with KDE and currently have a laptop running Mint 11 with Gnome) and would love the opportunity to finally dump Windows. I'm open to any and all ideas at this point.

Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

DKS

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I use Wine for Windows applications that I like/need and that work well with it. As for Adobe CS5, I haven't had much luck with that. Photoshop 7, and older versions of Framemaker were the last ones that I found worked well with Wine. So, for that sort of tool I usually run them in an XP virtual machine, using VirtualBox (works well, is open source).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give VirtualBox a go and see what happens.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close