Find the answer to your Linux question:
On my Windows side, via Ext2fsd as recommended by Pendrivelinux, I'm trying to access my Linux Mint 9 USB flash drive's new folders of documents and files I've created, which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't see or access Mint USB flash files even with Ex2fsd on PC

On my Windows side, via Ext2fsd as recommended by Pendrivelinux, I'm trying to access my Linux Mint 9 USB flash drive's new folders of documents and files I've created, which I assume are in persistence, but my flash's folder only reveals casper and isolinux and preseed and other basic Mint folders. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I am psyched up to use GParted on the flash drive to split its one partition into two which I'll format into FAT 32 so that both PC and Linux can read and write any files in there as recommended by some, but can I do this on a drive that already has files on it or do I have to find a way to back up everything and do a clean install all over again? I'm a non-techie and have gotten this far and gutsy thanks to user help from you all!

Jim in NYC

Linux Guru
    On my Windows side, via Ext2fsd as recommended by Pendrivelinux, I'm trying to access my Linux Mint 9 USB flash drive's new folders of documents and files I've created
    Ext2 IFS For Windows

Unless I understood this thread wrong. I guess you are trying to access Linux Mint Pendrive using Windows operating system.

Linux Guru
    The files you are seeing would indicate that you have a LiveCD on your flash drive. Those are the folders/files one would expect to see.
    When you installed Mint to the flash drive, you would need to take additional steps to make it persistent. Did you? Also, from the link posted by rokytnji above, it will only work with ext2 and ext3 filesystems. I'm not sure what the Mint 9 version uses but more recent releases use ext4 and that's something you should check.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Alright, I made my first steps by trying to resize the main partition by using unallocated space as Linux mavens recommended me, but when I rebooted my Mint 9 flash drive (previously formatted by unetbootin-windows-575 which automatically installed persistence), this alert popped up:

Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 21: mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /media/E8701CFA701CD0E4

I Googled for a clear explanation of what this is and there are a thousand out there but few straight out clear directions of how to fix it. They claim it's "not fatal" and my files are also still intact, still, can you direct me to any ideas? Thanks.

Jim in NYC

Linux Guru
    How did you resize the main partition? this is on your flash drive? Unfortunately, "Linux mavens" didn't inform us and neither did you? So now you have a flash you created with unetbootin with persistence and you booted this flash drive and it booted to Linux Mint with the warning you reported, is that correct? The warning you are seeing is just telling you that the windows partition on the first partition of the first hard drive is mounted under your /media directory. The long series of numbers/letters is the uuid.

So what's the problem?