Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks. I think I've made a crucial but stupid error here I've been running Linux Mint 11 on a 500GB drive and Windows 7 on two 1TB drives. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Mint on a separate drive problem

Hi folks.

I think I've made a crucial but stupid error here
    I've been running Linux Mint 11 on a 500GB drive and Windows 7 on two 1TB drives.
    I installed Linux Mint with the two Windows drives disconnected as this seemed easier than a dual boot and safer.
    This worked fine. At boot, Windows boot would give me a choice of W7 or Mint. I didn't see GRUB.

Anyway, I've now downloaded Mint 12, burnt a disk etc.
    I read that a totally clean install was the way to go so I went into System Management in Windows and deleted the drive.
    When I try to install Mint 12, I boot the disk and I get "unknown file system. Grub rescue_"
    I've tried formatting the drive as NTFS, naming it "unallocated space", "simple volume", making it "active" and I still get the same message: "unknown file system. grub rescue_"

I had thought that the Mint disk would format the drive and sort itself out. I'm sure that's what happened last time.
    Can anybody help?, cheers, John

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Are you getting that error from the cd? If so it sounds like a corrupt download or bad burn. Check the MD5 of the iso against the official one and if they differ, do a fresh download. If they match, try burning a fresh cd at a slower speed.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Hi Elija. Thanks for your input. I've tried two different downloads from two different sites. I've burnt them to disks using IMGBurn.
    As I said above I've tried several times to install onto my 500GB drive, with the other two drives disconnected. This failed and I got the error message-"unknown file system. Grub rescue_". The cursor is flashing. I've tried entering my old password
    and that produced a paragraph of possible commands. There are loads of them. I tried a couple and got "command not valid", "this argument is not supported" and most interestingly "cannot proceed until kernel is loaded"

I've also tried to install with all the drives connected. I thought that it would give an opportunity to install over Windows,or alongside it, but I still get the same message. I seem to have somehow disabled the 500GB drive by deleting it's contents,
    but I can't even install onto a partition on the two 1TB drives. This is very weird. Cheers, John

Just Joined!
    Doh. Sorry to have wasted your time Elija. I'm using a new motherboard and I wasn't setting up the BIOS properly for a disk boot.
    I've done that and installed Linux Mint Maya on the 500GBdrive (with the Windows drives disconnected)
    When I reconnected them I get the old Windows boot choice I had before except it won't boot Linux. I get a command prompt ending in grub_
    Still I'm a lot further forward than I was. Not sure what to do about the boot. Maybe EasyBCD? Cheers and sorry to get you thinking about a problem that didn't exist, John

Just Joined!
    Got it sorted out with EasyBCD. Can't believe I went through all that angst when I'd not set the BIOS properly. Oh well. Thanks, John

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    LOL. I was starting to think that it was the only thing that made any sense! Glad you got it sorted out.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent