Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, Linux noob here. I installed latest Mint in Virtualbox (on Windows 7 host) and have managed to access shared folders. But I do not want to dig through the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to make links to folders

Hi, Linux noob here. I installed latest Mint in Virtualbox (on Windows 7 host) and have managed to access shared folders. But I do not want to dig through the file manager each time to access them, so I want to make shortcuts to desktop.

I understand the way to (normally) make shortcuts to folders is to right click on it and select 'make link'. But the make link option is grayed out on most of the folders in the system. Only typically accessible folders like Music, Pictures, etc in user folder are linkable.

How do I make ALL folders in my system show the make link option?

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Open a terminal and type: gnome-desktop-item-edit /home/username/Desktop --create-new

Obviously change "username" above to your actual user name. You should get a new window where you can enter the name of the program/folder/file you want to link to and browse to it. You can get more detail on this at the link below:

Creating Application Launcher in GNOME3 Desktop - Linux Mint Community

If you get no response with the above you may need to install software. I believe this software is available in a default installation. If not, go to the site below which tells you how to install. It is for Ubuntu but should be the same for Mint:

Creating Desktop Launchers in 11.10, Ubuntu Oneiric*-*TuxGarage

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I've got it sorted out now.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close