Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm doing some research as I am planning on installing Linux on my laptop. My question is, how do I connect my Linux laptop to a windows internet network? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux & Needs Help

Hi, I'm doing some research as I am planning on installing Linux on my laptop. My question is, how do I connect my Linux laptop to a windows internet network? I Googled my question and it came up with a bunch of technical info. Would someone point me in the right direction? I'm your average PC user, so please keep it as user-friendly as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Linux Guru
    My question is, how do I connect my Linux laptop to a windows internet network?
    What windows internet network are you referring to? The "internet network" has nothing to do with windows. If you are referring to connecting your Linux laptop to a router through a windows machine, that's one thing. If you are talking about sharing between computers on a LAN, that's another. What exactly do you mean?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for replying Yancek. Yes, I should have been more clear. I'm wanting to hook up my Linux laptop to a router through a windows machine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I'm still not clear on your setup. The standard thing is to plug an ethernet cable into your machine (with Linux) and plug the other end into your router. Where is the Linux machine in relation to the router. Wired or wireless?

Just Joined!
    You say laptop, is the laptop wireless? Is your router wireless. If so on both then it should be a snap to access the Internet. No "Windows" needed.