Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am having problems installing Linux Mint 13 from a USB to my Harddrive from my USB. I made my normal win7 partition as NTFS, and split it into ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Dual boot Win7 (first) Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon (2nd) won't install

Hello, I am having problems installing Linux Mint 13 from a USB to my Harddrive from my USB. I made my normal win7 partition as NTFS, and split it into 2 halfs in win7 and formatted the 2nd half that is blank into a FAT32 for linux to detect it, but it wont detect that even. I made a USB Easy Installer thing and it loads everything properly, but when I go to look at partitions and everything it will only show up the usb drive. I have a Pyro SE SSD SATA Drive that I have never used RAID on, and when i type in sudo fdisk -l all that shows up is my usb disk at: /dev/sda1. Furthermore, when I go to gparted, is shows up the same thing, only /dev/sda1.. I Went to my bios and tried to change it to AHCI or what ever and it didn't seem to fix it. I looked again at my bios, and saw that my patriot Pyro SE SSD ATA drive was under IDE Slave 4, could that be a problem or can I use a term command to fix it? Any ideas please help haha!

THANK YOU!
    Xero

SPECS: Gigabyte P67x-UD3-B3 Mobo
    Patriot Pyro SE SSD ATA 60GB
    ATI hd 5750 GPU
    Intel I3 2.9 ghz
    8GB Gskill Sniper Series 1866MHZ ram

Hi!

Are you trying to make a double boot of your system? I mean trying to install windows and linux mint side by side? If so...

Since THIS is the way I do mine, may I suggest you give it a try too.

1) Download unetbootin for windows and install in your USB.
    2) Download the version of the Linux flavor you want to use to your windows desktop.
    3) Click on the unetbootin installer in your USB and there will be intructions given.
    4) Before installing you may reboot your system with the USB attached so you can use the Live version.
    5) Use gparted which I think comes with Linux Mint 13 to partition your system. I would suggest formatting to ext4 rather than fat32.

Please feel free to post any follow-up questions.

good luck!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667