Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone I posted this message on the Mint forums a few weeks ago but didn't get a reply so I'm hoping someone can help me here, I also posted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Winff crashes since upgrade

Hi everyone
    I posted this message on the Mint forums a few weeks ago but didn't get a reply so I'm hoping someone can help me here, I also posted on the winff forums and was told to report it as a bug to the Mint developers, which I did but was deemed as not a "Cinnamon issue".

So now I'm a a complete loss to know what to do or where to turn for help,
    the problem is ever since I upgraded to Mint Maya 13 I've had a problem with Winff converting to avi/Xvid, to be honest I can't be sure it's the upgrade that caused the problem but up untill then it worked flawlessly but now when I try to convert I this message mid way through the conversion

"video:1085121kB audio:0kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead -100.000000%
    *** glibc detected *** /usr/bin/avconv: corrupted double-linked list: 0x0939d380"

This only occurs using the avi/Xvid preset and only if I select 2 pass.

I've tried this with 4 different movie files and although 1 file did succesfully convert the rest all failed with the above error message

I've been trying to solve this issue for weeks now and I'm at my wits end because I have no idea what this means or where to start looking for the problem, The Winff developer/s claim it's not a problem with Winff and The Mint developers claim it's not a problem with Cinnamon (I don't know if that means they're saying it's not a problem with Mint itself) but something is wrong because this program used to be bullit proof now it's bullit ridden so I was wondering if anyone else uses winff and if they are having the same problem as me, or if anyone can offer me some help or advice how I can go about solving this issue any help or advice would be much appreciated

Many thanks
    Graeme

Have you thought about converting with FFMPEG and command line instead? I know that is not a fix to your problem but a work around.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    Have you thought about converting with FFMPEG and command line instead? I know that is not a fix to your problem but a work around.
    Hi mactruck

Thanks for your reply I have thought of using ffmpeg in the command line in fact one one occasion a guy I met on the ffmpeg irq channel talked me through the parameters and I successfully converted a movie file via the terminal however the quality was poor but it was a start,

I suppose i could given time learn all the syntax to make a successful conversion but I don't think I'm smart enough to do it well,

the frustrating thing for me is that winff used to work so well and I've tried every other alternative program available in Linux and none of them can do it the way i want,

Handbrake no longer supports .avi, arista wont allow me to set the framesize I want, Transmageddon and avidemux had other defiencies that i can't remember offhand but I've tried them all.

I don't know if this ia a Mint problem a gnome problem, a winff problem or some obscure hardware problem I'm not aware of, I don't have a clue where to start looking for the problem and it seems no one else does either, and apart from all that I seem to be the only one experiencing this,

it's a puzzle wrapped up in a riddle inside an enigma

Anyway thanks for your help

Graeme

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well I have been trying to do something similar myself. I just have not had the time. I want to encode to mkv instead as it is better quality. I will do some testing this weekend and let you know how it goes. Is there a reason you want avi? Is it because of the size? compatibility?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
    Well I have been trying to do something similar myself. I just have not had the time. I want to encode to mkv instead as it is better quality. I will do some testing this weekend and let you know how it goes. Is there a reason you want avi? Is it because of the size? compatibility?
    Hi again Macktruck

There is no particular reason i want .avi other than it is familiar to me and I have a large collection of childrens movies that I keep for my Grand-daughter (Chloe) which I stream through a softmodded xbox, all the movies i have are encoded to.avi/Xvid because they play on my daughters dvd player so i can give her copies and she can play them for Chloe at her home, I like to keep things as standard as possible so if I changed formats now I would probably have to re-convert all my movies (around 120 of them), but I'm open to suggestions

You seem to have a better understanding of movie file formats than I do can you tell me why .mkv is a better format than .avi

Many thanks

Graeme