Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I'm new to both Linux and forums in general, so I'll keep this short. I recently installed Mint 13 MATE 32-bit to my Dell Inspiron 1501 computer. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help with wireless? (Mint 13 MATE 32-bit)

Hello everyone! I'm new to both Linux and forums in general, so I'll keep this short.

I recently installed Mint 13 MATE 32-bit to my Dell Inspiron 1501 computer. I set it up dualbooting because I want a safety net in case Linux goes to crap by some way. (with my luck, I wouldn't be surprised)

Anyways, I installed it and all, but for some reason my wireless won't work. My wireless works on my Windows side of my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate) but not on the Linux side.

I installed the driver for it (Broadcom STA wireless driver) but now it doesn't even give me an option to use wireless. It did before I installed it, but obviously I couldn't use it because it wasn't installed. Now it is installed and the wireless option dropped off completely.

If anyone has any advice or a way to fix it, I would be very grateful.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome to the forums!

I don't run any wireless devices on my Linux box so can't help with it much, but we do have the following wireless article that might help you to get started on troubleshooting the issue:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    oz

Not all Braodcom cards work with the Braodcom STA driver. I have one that is a 4311 card and it requires the b43 driver. That could be the same issue you have. Please post the output of
    Code:
    lspci

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I have a 1501 at home that I run Ubuntu on (the base for Mint). I like using Synaptic for this kind of stuff. I'm not real familiar with Mint (though this is a problem with the underlying UB code base, not Mint itself). If Mint does not include Synaptic then you can install it from the terminal with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install aptitude
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    It *should* be found in the Systems Tools menu.

Go in to Synaptic and uninstall both the Broadcom STA driver and bcmwl-kernel-source. Then install firmware-b43-installer and b43-fwcutter.

Reboot and it will work like a charm.

BTW, this will fix 90% of the most common problems with any UB based distro and a wifi card with a Broadcom chipset.
    Last edited by Steven_G; 07-04-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Clarafication and typos

Just Joined!

Steven_G

Just wanted to say thanks, it did work like a charm and now the laptop has a new lease of life

Skymouse

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_G View Post
    I have a 1501 at home that I run Ubuntu on (the base for Mint). I like using Synaptic for this kind of stuff. I'm not real familiar with Mint (though this is a problem with the underlying UB code base, not Mint itself). If Mint does not include Synaptic then you can install it from the terminal with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install aptitude
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    It *should* be found in the Systems Tools menu.

Go in to Synaptic and uninstall both the Broadcom STA driver and bcmwl-kernel-source. Then install firmware-b43-installer and b43-fwcutter.

Reboot and it will work like a charm.

BTW, this will fix 90% of the most common problems with any UB based distro and a wifi card with a Broadcom chipset.