Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Windows 7 on my desktop with a 1 TB WD HDD divided into 2 (2 partitions). So I burned the image file to a DVD and restarted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Installation type options

I am running Windows 7 on my desktop with a 1 TB WD HDD divided into 2 (2 partitions).

So I burned the image file to a DVD and restarted and Linux opened successfully. I click on the "Install Linux Mint" found on the Desktop and it opens. I choose the language and make sure the internet is connected like they say and click "Continue". The next thing is the "manual" partitioning window without the . Now there are 2 problems:

1 - Why doesn't it allow me to choose from the three Installation type options ( Install alongside Windows, Erase all data, Something Else) ?

2 - Why doesn't it show anything in the partitions table even though it detects the drive and it doesnt let me do anything (Can't click on Add, Change, Delete, Revert...)

When I try quiting the installer I always get this error ( If it helps) :
    Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    	File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/frontend/gtk_ui.py", line 1391, in watch_debconf_fd_helper
    		return callback(source, debconf_condition)
    	File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 252, in process_inpit
    		self.status = self.wait()
    	File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 148, in wait
    		self.cleanup()
    	File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/plugins/ubi-partman.py", line 2867, in claenup
    		self.preseed('grub-installer/bootde', self.ui.get_grub_choice())
    	File "/usr/lib/ubiquity/filteredcommand.py", line 342, in preseed
    		self.db.set(name, value)
    	File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 60, in <lambda>
    		lambda *args, **kw:self.command(command, *args, **kw))
    	File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/debconf.py", line 64, in command
    	self.write.write("%s %s\n" & (command, ''.join(map(str, params))))
    ValueError: 1/0 operation on closed file
    I went back to Windows and tried making a 20 GB partition ( I didn't make one in the first place cuz I thought Mint does that automatically for you but as I said it doesn't even let me choose any option :/) and go back but still the same problem... This is what GParted shows:

/dev/sda1 NTFS System Resered 100 MB boot
    /dev/sda2 NTFS 465.66 GB
    /dev/sda3 NTFS 445.76 GB
    unallocated unallocated 20 GB

First time Linux user so please go slowly with the instructions

*Note: I made a md5sum check before burning and I tried the CD on my dad's laptop and it let him chooses the option he wants so it's not the DVD's mistake.

Linux Guru
    Which release of Linux Mint are you using, the most recent? Ordinarily, one of the options is checked with a radio button to the left and the default would be the first, Install Alongside... Is the radio button not checked? Can you not change it? If you are seeing the partition table you must have got past this step of selecting the type of installation, where you see the Add, Change, Delete tabs. If you get to this point, click on the unallocated 20GB space in the main window to highlight it and then click on Add and you will get a new window with options. Not sure if you are getting to this point but it seems as you are if you see the Add, Change, etc. tabs.

Linux Newbie
    does GParted let you format the Unallocated partition. I would think if you could get that partition formatted you would be able to install. Are you using GParted Live or the Gparted from the installation CD.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Did you try browsing files on your windows partition while on the live CD? This will cause the system to mount the drive, thus disabling changes to it. You can also get errors if windows didn't cleanly shutdown, or has pending system updates.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Which release of Linux Mint are you using, the most recent? Ordinarily, one of the options is checked with a radio button to the left and the default would be the first, Install Alongside... Is the radio button not checked? Can you not change it? If you are seeing the partition table you must have got past this step of selecting the type of installation, where you see the Add, Change, Delete tabs. If you get to this point, click on the unallocated 20GB space in the main window to highlight it and then click on Add and you will get a new window with options. Not sure if you are getting to this point but it seems as you are if you see the Add, Change, etc. tabs.
    Maya 13... Yup I can see the Add, Change, etc... However the step before that (installation method) doesn't come. It like gets skipped for some reason or not there in the first place. Plus in the step where you (should be able to) choose Add, Change, etc... you don't see any partitions! only the drive name at the drop-down list at the buttom

@electroman Ok I'll try formating... hmmm...GParted Live meaning GParted burned on a separate CD? If that's what you mean then no because I can find it in the menu (bottom left of the toolbar). Even If I wanted, I wouldn't been able to since I only have 1 reader (so I can't play/read the Linux LiveCD and GParted CD at the same time).. If that's what you mean.

@mizzle I did browse files the first couple of times, but the next times I tried installing I didn't browse anything. Just startup and click on 'Install Linux Mint'

Linux Newbie
    you don't run GParted live at the same time as the installation CD. You first use GParted Live to edit your partitions then you reboot to the Live Linux CD to install the system.

Linux Guru
    So you do not see the page where you can select the three options "Install Alongside, Erase and Something else on your computer but you do see them when you tried this same CD on your dads computer? That's pretty bizarre.

If you get to the Installation Type page where you have the Add, Edit, etc. tabs but nothing in the main window, you won't have any control nor will you know what is happening. You might be able to get it installed Alongside but who knows. It might just as likely overwrite another partition and you won't know until it is finished. You should have GParted on your Mint CD, access from the main menu I believe. Post the output run in a terminal of the command: sudo fdisk -l(lower case Letter L in the command). This will give partition information. Also, the drive name in the drop down list at the bottom you refer to above is the device for bootloader installation.