Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried to move some files into my file system for wine. It says I need root permission, but does not give me the option of entering a password. When ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems as root user

I tried to move some files into my file system for wine. It says I need root permission, but does not give me the option of entering a password. When I do to the permissions page, it says that I am not the owner and can not change anything. I only have the one account and am running LDME Cinnamon. Thank you for any help.

You can try using sudo.
    Or possibly do gksu nautilus to open a file manager with root permissions.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I can log in as SU and use sudo, but unable to change permissions. tried the gksu nautilus command and got:

Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension

** (nautilus:4316): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOw ner: Name "org.gnome.SessionManager" does not exist

also have thread in the wine section about the problems I am having installing.
    Last edited by Milburnt; 07-15-2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: additional info

Linux Guru
    I tried to move some files into my file system for wine
    Moving files from where to where? Wine is usually a sub-directory in the user directory AFAIK.

It says I need root permission, but does not give me the option of entering a password
    What exactly are you doing when you get the message saying you need root permission and what "permissions page" are you referring to? You should be able to just type "sudo su" in a terminal (without quotes) and then open nautilus and make any changes. More explicit details would help.