Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mizzle
As any competent new user should do before selecting his or her first distro upon the switch from Windows, I've done sufficient homework to deduce that Linux Mint is certainly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Linux Mint Debian Edition that big of a deal?

As any competent new user should do before selecting his or her first distro upon the switch from Windows, I've done sufficient homework to deduce that Linux Mint is certainly the distribution most suited to my needs. That decision has been based off of DE, user-friendliness, package availability, etc. However, it's come down to whether or not I want the Debian edition, or the standard Ubuntu-forked Linux Mint OS.

The idea of having a rolling distribution is certainly attractive to me; it's comforting to know that my OS will evolve as it goes, with the pace slowed down by the Mint dev team making certain that the Debian updates will *probably* not break my OS. It's also interesting to think that I can be involved in the process of "fixing" an OS, or at least reporting bugs I find, contributing as much as a noncoder can do. Finally, I don't mind the idea that it's not as "user-friendly"; I'm perfectly capable of reading documentation and learning how to do things.

That said: what would I be missing if I chose Linux Mint 13 instead? Is LMDE more of a hassle to get started with as a first distro than I realize? What are your guys' experience with both distros? Do you have a personal favorite? And once one DOES jump the hurdles involved with using LMDE as a first distro, what exactly are the benefits with running a Debian model as opposed to an Ubuntu one?

Thanks in advance. I'm really leaning toward LMDE, but your responses would be really nice to have.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I really like LMDE and prefer it to the main edition. It's not quite as beginner friendly but it's not really that tricky either. It's based off Debian Testing so there is the potential for an update to break the system. In such cases it's usually fixed very quickly. Since LMDE switched to their own "Latest" repositories this has not really been an issue.

Compared to the main edition, the software will be older which some would consider a down side.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Welcome Aboard!

As elija said, the Testing branch could cause some breakage, but it's not common. And is usually patched in a hurry.
    LMDE benefits from this, naturally.

If your looking for software that is closer to "newest and bestest", then the standard Mint would be more ideal.

Either way, they are both designed to be fairly friendly. And both have plenty of online documentation and the Linux community.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks elijah and jayd512.

I don't mind older software as long as it works. And I don't mind some rough edges as long as they're fixed eventually. With all this in mind, I think I've selected my first distro! =)

You said there's a lot of good documentation out there for both, however, and I've yet to find an LMDE user guide besides the one roughly translated from Italian. The poor English is a bit off-putting, and even though I'll gladly use it in the absence of an alternative, could you point me in the direction of better documentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Saposcat View Post
    I've yet to find an LMDE user guide...
    It's basically Debian, so you could utilize the Debian Wiki. It's got MSGE, so the Mint Forums will be useful.

And Google everything, adding "LMDE" or "Linux Mint" tacked on.
    And you're a member of LinuxForums.
    Information flows freely here!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    So at the end of the day, LMDE is just a polished version of Debian, isn't it? The way the system works should be close, if not identical, to Debian?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Saposcat View Post

That said: what would I be missing if I chose Linux Mint 13 instead? Is LMDE more of a hassle to get started with as a first distro than I realize? What are your guys' experience with both distros? Do you have a personal favorite? And once one DOES jump the hurdles involved with using LMDE as a first distro, what exactly are the benefits with running a Debian model as opposed to an Ubuntu one?
    You would be missing all the bugs and headaches that come with Ubuntu. Mind you, Mint does a lot to improve upon these.
    You'll also miss the really annoying opportunity to try to upgrade your distro. If you think package upgrades break systems, wait until you try a distro upgrade!

In all seriousness, if it's just for casual desktop use, get LMDE and don't look back

Welcome to the forum. Either choice is a good one, and like most things linux, depends on what you like best. You will find that linux prides itself on letting you have it your way, instead of some one-size-fits-all take-it-or-do-without OS. If you haven't found distrowatch.com yet, it is a source of info on over 600 different linux distro's. If you can't find something that suits you there, then there is alway linux from scratch, which lets you build your own distro.
    Registered Linux user #526930