Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I need some help. I'm new to Linux so confusion is a factor in my situation. I have a 120gb hdd, I have just freshly installed windows on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Help Installing Mint 13 Dual boot

Hey guys I need some help. I'm new to Linux so confusion is a factor in my situation. I have a 120gb hdd, I have just freshly installed windows on my hdd. During the windows instalation I only selected a partition of 50gb for Windows leaving the rest for Mint. I'm installing mint from a usb. Well I am having complications. I have tried following this:
    blog.sudobits.com/2011/11/30/how-to-install-linux-mint-12-using-live-usb-or-cd-dvd/]How to install Linux Mint 12 : using live USB or CD/DVD

to help but my partitions dont look the same. ANy help would be great. I included a screenshot hoping it will help solve my issue. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance. I also tried to download a partition manager but i got an error because it said that not all files were able to be downloaded from server. Dont know if it means much, like i said im a completer noob with linux Dx

Screenshot.jpg

EDIT: I think I figured it out. I deleted the 60gb partition and selected install. Maybe it was lareday installed?
    Last edited by Wizzy990; 08-21-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Just Joined! The_Penguin_Is_My_Master's Avatar
    What I always do is let Windows take up the full hard drive. (You may have to use GParted to make this happen again) and then install Linux "alongside Windows". Works every time for me. No need to go making all of your own partitions that way.

awc
    When setting up a dual boot system, the best approach is to take a minute and think about how much space you'll need for each OS. Backup whatever data you want to save and format your disk so you can start with a clean slate. The easiest way to do this is to install Windows first.

Install Windows in it's own partition. Leave free space on the hdd to install Mint. Install Mint and select the "side by side" option, don't bother manually configuring the partitions. Leave the default settings for installing the boot loader.

Here's a Ubunutu dual boot install guide, it's about as straightforward as it gets:

help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot#Install_Ubuntu_after_Windows

For your scenario, replace Ubuntu with Mint

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The image you posted is very difficult to read but if I am reading it correctly, you have an ntfs (windows) partition on sda1 and an ext4 (Linux) partition on sda5, swap on sda6. What you need to do in the Installation Type window is to click on the sda5 partition in the main window to highlight it then click the Change tab in the center below that window. That gives you a new window where you can set the mount point which should be /. You should not need to change the size or filesystem type. If you want to use the Mint Grub bootloader, leave the default setting of /dev/sda under Device for bootloader installation.

If you use the Something Else option, you will have more control over what is happening.

Just Joined!
    Thanks all. I got it figured out As far as running it as side by side I would actually Prefer it to be on its own partition. For organisation purposes. I didn't take into account that Mint had already set up the partition. Thanks all for the great help Being new to Linux is a bit tough but this forum definitely helps!!