Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a minecraft installation directory that i transfered over from windows. I figured that i could run the .exe with wine but the biggest problem i am having is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Minecraft on Mint

I have a minecraft installation directory that i transfered over from windows. I figured that i could run the .exe with wine but the biggest problem i am having is with java. I need the JRE to play, I have tried to install it but with now luck. I am lost at what to do, any help would be great thanks in advanced. I'm running Mint 13.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizzy990 View Post
    I have a minecraft installation directory that i transfered over from windows. I figured that i could run the .exe with wine but the biggest problem i am having is with java. I need the JRE to play, I have tried to install it but with now luck. I am lost at what to do, any help would be great thanks in advanced. I'm running Mint 13.
    What commands have you tried to install it? It helps us to know what you've tried and exact error messages you get. I'm not sure if it is still available in the Mint repos, but this command might work:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
    is it the Java browser plugin that you need?

Just Joined!
    I have that. I tried to run .exe under wine and it tells me no JVM was found, please define jdk/jre. I tired to install Oracal Java JRE following instructions on javas website but I cannot get it to install. The tar.gz just unpacks, my understanding is after it unpacks it should start to install. It doesn't. I posted a screenshot of what it looks like when i try to run miecraft.exe with wine. Screenshot.jpg
    and as far as the original command to run it i just right click on the .jar file inside the bin folder of directory and try to run with openjdk, though nothing happens.

Trusted Penguin
    I haven't run minecraft (in any OS) but do you need to run the exe? According to their website (under Show all platforms), you should be able to run the jar file w/java.

Minecraft for Linux / Other

Download minecraft.jar (89 KB). The jar is executable and might work as-is. If you run into memory issues, try launching it with java -Xmx1024M -Xms512M -cp Minecraft.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame, also please use Sun's JVM.

To install java, google abounds w/examples. Here's one that seems short and accurate:

How to install Oracle Java on Debian / Ubuntu | Frederik Konietzny

If you have trouble w/it, post commands you've run and any error messages you get back here.

Linux Newbie
    I usually install java from the synaptic package manager and then make a gedit file with the path to the minecraft.jar file then use
    Code:
    chmod +x minecraft.jar
    but you need to make sure when you use chmod that your in the directory that it is saved in, in the terminal. such as cd Desktop.