Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Greetings! This blog has proved very helpful background for me of late, and perhaps you can assist me! With Mint maven assistance, I've been successful installing and running Mint 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Partitioning a USB Flash Drive For Full Mint 13 Install

Greetings!

This blog has proved very helpful background for me of late, and perhaps you can assist me! With Mint maven assistance, I've been successful installing and running Mint 9 on a 8gig flash (not "live" or persistent, but a full install) and runs superbly -- with one caveat; when Mint updates it bloats the drive! From an initial 1.8 gigs free it's down to 320megs with space warnings. I decided to backup my Mint 9 home folder so I can fully install Mint 13 on my flash for max drive space over mere space hungry live/persistent as with 9 before, and I got as far as the live CD's partitions creator when I got stuck! I lost my touch from how I installed Mint 9 a while ago in exactly how to set-up the partitions and in what sized segments as /boot, /home and swat. I wish there was a kind of script that looks at your USB flash and auto figures out a way to set up appropriate partitions and lets you move on to installing. If at all possible, can anyone recommend me what partitions and the type and sizes of each to set up for my flash so I don't have to spend weeks of trial and error at this again like with Mint 9, especially as at 81 I don't really have that much time left to fiddle with!

Any assist will of course be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

Jim in NYC

Linux Guru
    You don't need a /boot partition and you may not need a swap, depends upon how much RAM you have on the computer. If you want a /home partition you can do that. I believe a Mint install after being de-compressed from the Live CD will need 3.5-4Gb on the flash. This information should be available during the initial part of the installation. I'd suggest 512MB - 1GB for swap and the rest of it just on the / partition. If you want a /home partition, you could probably divide the flash in half, 4GB each.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You don't need a /boot partition and you may not need a swap, depends upon how much RAM you have on the computer. If you want a /home partition you can do that. I believe a Mint install after being de-compressed from the Live CD will need 3.5-4Gb on the flash. This information should be available during the initial part of the installation. I'd suggest 512MB - 1GB for swap and the rest of it just on the / partition. If you want a /home partition, you could probably divide the flash in half, 4GB each.
    Thanks for the swift reply! I'd no idea that I can make things less complicated by dispensing with the /boot or /home partitions! Great education! I just want to do as simple as possible formatting to boot and run 13 off a 8gig flash drive! What I'm unable to tell what to do is setting what and optimium partition size and type. A shame 13's partitioner can't swing this! You'd think there was a standard easy to follow "rule" to this that covers all sized drives to format with!

Thanks for the hints!
    Jim in NYC

Just Joined!
    One of the things hamstringing me in using Maya's partitioner is when I set up 2gigs for "/", 2gigs for /boot, and 2gigs for swap, I get alerts like; "Some of the partitions you created are too small. At least make the following this large: /boot 0TB0.

I have no idea what this means, but it still happens even if I set up /boot as 6gigs!

Jim in NYC

Linux Guru
    The last version of Mint I installed was Mint 12. At the beginning of the installation, there is a page named "Preparing to Install Linux Mint" and on that page it says "For best results, please ensure that this computer has at least 3.6GB available drive space". That would be why you are getting the error you report. There is really no need to have a separate boot partition on a small flash drive although it can be useful on larger drives with multiple systems. Additionally, the boot partition would be the smallest partition. Based on the Mint 12, and I expect Mint 13 would be similar, you would need 4GB for your /, maybe 512MB for swap (or no swap at all if you have 1-2GB of RAM) the rest for a /home partition. Personally, on a flash, I'd just do 7.5GB for / and whatever is left for swap.

Personally, on a flash, I'd just do 7.5GB for / and whatever is left for swap.
    +1 here from me also. I don't Mint but run all kinds of flash drive installs. I just format the whole drive as ext2 file system, label it as root, flag it as boot. Then run whatever installer is provided by the Linux distro I wish to install and point it to the external flash drive to install/copy the files and install grub to mbr of external flash drive also.

Something I wrote up on this a few years back

Yet Another Technology Site: Install AntiX 8.2 Final on External Flash Drive

I have moved on to later releases since then.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Greetings

Well. my attempts to full-install 32-bit Maya XFCE or MATE on my 8gig flash drive keeps failing because the installer apparently won't allow me to just have a single "/" partition; it just stalls and that's it. I have a sneaky feeling that Maya full install is a whole lot different program from Mint 9 full install, which went in pretty easily, but Maya looks like it won't install unless I have the right "formula" of number/type/size partitions but that'd be a long trial by error game. Just can't see why a script can't compute such for you! So right now, till I'm more educated, I'll grind thru the Maya live install instead for practice and transferring its fresh customized configs off the flash to restall in the new full install later on, and learned two shockers; using Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.0.9 with persistence set (arbitrarily) for 1gig, my post-live install space on my 8gig flash was 1.8gig. Then all I did was package manager download Remmina (excellent in Mint 9!) and DesktopNova and Computer-Janitor (none which works in Maya!) and added several folders from my home folder backup (amounting to 200meg), my free space is now down to 1.2! Where'd most of that space go?? That's why I tried to get janitor to clean out any junk in there! Of course this is all experimental working with just a live install, but is this a preview of how Maya acts on a full install on a flash drive?

Thanks for any tips!

Jim in Queens!

Just Joined!
    I'll check out your external flash drive doc, thanks!

Jim in NYC

Just Joined!
    Okay, I would use any "Use Entire Disk" Maya Installer option but that seems to only pertain to my system's HD and not the flash drive. I don't see any way of forcing Maya's installer to completely format a drive other than the one your system's running on, and it makes you have to do the partitions dance to format another drive (I can do it but it's not taking my guesswork partition type/size configs). It's possible I missed a option somewhere, being I'm just a play-it-by-ear newbie ex-Mac Linux newbie. I'd also like to create more space on my live flash while I'm learning a full install, so can you give me any ideas exactly what big files are safe to delete which is not needed on a flash so I make no fatal mistakes? This is a true learning experience! Thanks!

Jim in Queens

BTW Remmina works fine! I guess it needed a system restart, but the time keeps losing its setting though!

Linux Guru
    I don't know what the options are for Mint 13 installer. Previous versions had a "Something Else" option which was previously referred to as Manual or Advanced. Given your situation, I would select the "Something Else" option so you can see what is happening. Selecting "Use Entire Disk" won't give you any control and it will probably write to your primary disk. How are you trying to install? Are you using a Live CD? Live CD on a flash? Boot your Live CD (or flash or whatever you are using to try to install) and run the command: sudo fdisk -l to get drive partition information to post. Indicate which drive you want to install to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast