Find the answer to your Linux question:
I bought a DVD from on-disk of Mint 13 Maya that freezes up during installation. i do not know what causes it but it sure is frustrating!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mint 13 32bit will not completely install

I bought a DVD from on-disk of Mint 13 Maya that freezes up during installation. i do not know what causes it but it sure is frustrating!
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Do you have the recommended 1 GB of RAM? Is it freezing on a black screen indicating a video driver problem?
    Registered Linux user #526930

No Mason I only have 512MB of RAM. The installation gets to the screenshow which never happens and the curser arrow keeps revolving like a clock and the installation never goes beyond installing 253 gigs. I was so looking forward to trying out Mint.

Ah, it seems I need to import some files from the Axtix os to put into Mint for the installation to work. The 530 GiB of files are placed onto my hard drive but it won't work without the needed AntiX distro files.
    Last edited by cousinlucky; 09-01-2012 at 10:30 AM.
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    No Mason I only have 512MB of RAM. The installation gets to the screenshow which never happens and the curser arrow keeps revolving like a clock and the installation never goes beyond installing 253 gigs. I was so looking forward to trying out Mint.

Ah, it seems I need to import some files from the Axtix os to put into Mint for the installation to work. The 530 GiB of files are placed onto my hard drive but it won't work without the needed AntiX distro files.
    Why would you need AntiX files for a Mint distro? I must have missed something.

Cuz. With 512 MB of ram. A /swap partition must be made first before running the installer and /swap must be turned on.

Mint is a poor choice for 512MB of ram. Lubuntu seems more of a choice for those ram specs. That Slax CD I sent is now way old. (If I remember correctly, it has been years) It is not installable by the way, I think it is just a live cd and that is it.

Crunchbang, Semplice, I know you are already running AntiX. These are other releases you ca test/run live also.

512mb of ram is killing you trying to run intensive graphical Desktops. Gonna have to teach a old dog new tricks as time passes on.

My reply on transferring Antix files for a Mint install

antiX-forum - View topic - What files do I import from Antix to install a Mint distro ?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home