Find the answer to your Linux question:
Last night I installed the nvidia driver that goes with my computer on mint and restarted, this resulted in my secondary monitor not working at all (even when trying to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Small problem with graphics driver in linux mint

Last night I installed the nvidia driver that goes with my computer on mint and restarted, this resulted in my secondary monitor not working at all (even when trying to change the display settings). It also resulted in the entire desktop changing to what looks like your standard classic linux layout rather than the one that came with it. I have version 13 with cinnemon. Any idea if this is fixable? If it isn't i'd prefer to just not use the nvidia graphics driver haha.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you use the standard display settings tool, or the nvidia-specific one? Also, did you install the nVidia proprietary driver, or the nouveau driver that comes with mint?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I installed the propritary driver that is in the additional drivers. I did the standard one I was unaware that there was a nvidia-specific tool. Where do I find it? And will it change my desktop back to normal?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    In System->Preferences you should see an "NVIDIA X Server Settings" option. You may also have to blacklist the nouveau driver.

Just Joined!
    how do I blacklist the driver? And will the display still work if there's no display driver at all? My girlfriend is having a video driver problem on ubuntu as well.

The blacklist is here: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf - if the entry "blacklist nouveau" isn't there, then add it. You have to be root to edit the file. If you don't have a video driver running, then you will get vga/vesa text mode (or just boot into runlevel 3) so you can log in and install the appropriate driver. Myself, I have never had much luck with the packaged nVidia drivers, but never any problems with the proprietary ones downloaded from the nVidia web site.

FWIW, I've done this with both Red Hat as well as Debian/Ubuntu distributions.

Just Joined!
    Okay I'm going to try that right now. If you don't mind can you see if you can help me out with this as well? I've been struggling with it for like 2 days http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ubu...ht-ubuntu.html Thanks a lot

Just Joined!
    This is what happened when I finally got my second monitor to work. My acutal second monitor is just a white screen with a grey bar on top. I'm thinking this driver isn't worth the problems it brings.Screenshot from 2012-09-06 20:40:54.jpg

Nice wallpaper pic. Mine is Mount Orizaba in Veracruz Mexico (a foto I took some years ago). Have you tried the "official" driver from nVidia yet?