Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm interested in using Fluxbox. I've read a lot and am currently running Linux Mint 11 Katya. Some of things which I haven't been clear on is this: What do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SOLVED - Fluxbox - want to start using, but need help.

I'm interested in using Fluxbox. I've read a lot and am currently running Linux Mint 11 Katya.

Some of things which I haven't been clear on is this:

What do I need to install to get this running. I've already installed the Fluxbox packages. I know you need to have X server running, but I've tried to start this using

Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    and got the error: ""lightdm: unrecognized service"

I also read if you want to use FB, you just need to right click on the desktop and you should see the submenu's and I'm not seeing anything when I do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Even if you could give me a push in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Thx,

D
    Last edited by darksaga80; 10-18-2012 at 02:53 AM. Reason: updated title to show its been resolved

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

It's been many years since I last ran fluxbox, but back then you could start it by simply adding exec fluxbox to your /home/your_username/.xinitrc file. If that won't work, be sure to check out their wiki articles for some good howto info that always worked for me:

Category:English howtos - Fluxbox-wiki
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the heads up. I actually figured it out. You need to log out and then select "fluxbox" from the toolbar. Then it will reboot with the fluxbox desktopo manager.

D

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    Are you still having trouble w/the right-click menu in fluxbox, or are you good now?

Note that you can modify the fluxbox menu directly by editing your user-specific file ~/.fluxbox/menu. The format of the file is fairly intuitive.