Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greeting! I''m trying to Ethernet link with a XP desktop. My Maya XFCE lap indicates Wired Connection but I have no desktop icon linking to the XP. I believe I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ethernet Wire Connected Indicated But No Desktop Icon

Greeting!

I''m trying to Ethernet link with a XP desktop. My Maya XFCE lap indicates Wired Connection but I have no desktop icon linking to the XP. I believe I have the basics set up but unsure. What am I missing, or does Linux do the desktop icon of another system thing?

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Just Joined!
    Is it going through a switch or PC to PC? If it's PC to PC you need a CrossOver Ethernet Cable.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply!

Is there anyway this cross-over can be done in software within the machines? If not, if you're familiar with them, would recommend those $1.90 crossover adapters on eBay?

Thanks for any hints!

Jim in NYC

Just Joined!
    You could make a crossover cable. Look up ethernet crossover cable on Wikipedia. The cable ends are about $5 for 10. The crimp tool is about $10 or so. Or, easiest, get a cheap hub. That will perform the same, if not better, than an adapter. You cannot make a crossover in software. You would have to have an auto-sensing ethernet card to begin with.

Just Joined!
    You also don't mention DHCP. You can get by with manually assigned static IP addresses. Each end needs to get an address someow if you hope to TCP/IP.

Linux Newbie
    jimwg.

Not sure what you mean by desktop icon.

Have you tried pinging each box from the other box?

I have come across many many fairly NICs that will handle the "crossover cabling" issues.

Having said that, before I experienced it for the first time, I always had my own crossover cables for everything from null modem to ether and I was, frankly, shocked when I saw two NICs connected OK with a straight cable.

In the first instance, I would try just connecting the two boxes directly using the existing cable and see how you go. If no joy, then look into a crossover.

Cheers - VP