Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Syndacate
Hello, I'm new to this forum and novice in Linux systems. Here I'm posting a problem which is a stumbling block for me and may not for you, so kindly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation problem

Hello, I'm new to this forum and novice in Linux systems. Here I'm posting a problem which is a stumbling block for me and may not for you, so kindly figure out this issue and help me in fixing this.

I was trying to install Huawei modem in linux mint 13, had been instructed through a manual but experienced no luck.

Check these command prompts

sandy ~ $ su
    Password:
    sandeep-pc sandy # cd Desktop
    sandeep-pc Desktop # cd Linux
    sandeep-pc Linux # ls
    7zr data.bin install MobilePartner.bin readme.txt SysConfig.dat
    sandeep-pc Linux # pwd
    /home/sandy/Desktop/Linux
    sandeep-pc Linux # ./install /home/Desktop
    bash: ./install: Permission denied
    sandeep-pc Linux #

Why it says Permission denied? help me in resolving this issue.

regards
    sandy

Hello and Welcome.
    Those are probably Windows only files. You won't be needing those. See this link.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by sandave003 View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this forum and novice in Linux systems. Here I'm posting a problem which is a stumbling block for me and may not for you, so kindly figure out this issue and help me in fixing this.

I was trying to install Huawei modem in linux mint 13, had been instructed through a manual but experienced no luck.

Check these command prompts

sandy ~ $ su
    Password:
    sandeep-pc sandy # cd Desktop
    sandeep-pc Desktop # cd Linux
    sandeep-pc Linux # ls
    7zr data.bin install MobilePartner.bin readme.txt SysConfig.dat
    sandeep-pc Linux # pwd
    /home/sandy/Desktop/Linux
    sandeep-pc Linux # ./install /home/Desktop
    bash: ./install: Permission denied
    sandeep-pc Linux #

Why it says Permission denied? help me in resolving this issue.

regards
    sandy
    1. As Mike said, are you sure those files are for Linux? (ELF)

2. Is "Desktop" a user on your system? If not, I'm not sure what the argument does to the install script, but I think you mean this instead:
    Code:
    ./install /home/sandy/Desktop
    Or some variation. Desktop isn't a direct sub-folder of /home. It's a sub-folder of each user directory inside of /home, ie.
    Code:
    /home/<username>/Desktop
    Is a valid directory. If the script isn't attempting to make the directory first, you may get that permission denied error, as the path doesn't actually exist.

It'd also help a bit to know what the argument you're providing to the script is - I mean I see that it's a path, but a path to what, install location, file location (if so, which file location), etc.?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Confused

Those are Linux files only and Desktop is not user(since I haven't intentionally created them) I just gave my name at the time of installation . I'm really dumb for your further questions and reasoning. But just tell me some baby steps which can be followed and here I'm to work.
    I Just want that Huawei modem E173 to work in my Linux.

Thanks for the respone.

regards
    sandy.

Those are Linux files only and Desktop is not user(since I haven't intentionally created them) I just gave my name at the time of installation . I'm really dumb for your further questions and reasoning. But just tell me some baby steps which can be followed and here I'm to work.
    I Just want that Huawei modem E173 to work in my Linux.

Thanks for the respone.

regards
    sandy.
    Alright.

Well I downloaded the drivers (even though I don't have the card). The reason you are getting a permission denied error is the permissions are wrong. Every file in there has read only permissions, so nothing, not even admin, can run it.

Admin CAN however changed the permissions..but that's not necessary since you should be the owner.

So let's apply default user permissions to all files in that folder:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/Linux
    - This should put you in the driver directory

Now you need to give all files the correct permissions, that can be done with:
    Code:
    chmod 744 *
    (default permissions *should* be 644, but you need to be able to execute (the install script at least), so 744 allows for execution. The asterisk simply means "all files.")

Now you need to run this script as root, to do this, you can type:
    Code:
    su
    You can then type your password, the prompt should change from a $ to a #

Now you need to run the installation script, you can do that simply by typing:
    Code:
    ./install
    The installation script will now start, you will get this prompt:
    Code:
    Please input the absolute path for install[/usr/local/Movistar_3.5G]:
    The square brackets at the end are the default option (if you don't type anything and just hit enter), I can't tell you much about the other options (defaults are typically all okay, though), but for this one, it's definitely okay, you can just hit enter here.

From here my installation failed because it tried to find the actual modem and it failed. So you'll have to see what happens to yours.

If it fails, pleae copy/paste any output it gives you, as that helps greatly in tracking down the problem.

Hope this helps!
    MikeTbob likes this.

Just Joined!

I think I'm successful

I have 2 sets of softwares for same modem: got them from different sources.

First drivers which we were discussing about is buggy I think, after applying permission and pressing just enter(hasn't given any path), ended up with installation failure. But I have different set of drivers, by applying same logic it went very fine and terminal clearly said installation was successful. My concerned dashboard was opened and I could able to create my network profile, but when i hit connect button, dashboard says connected but no internet in my computer. Do you have any clue about this. So far your guidance was great; expressing my gratitude.

regards
    sandy.

I have 2 sets of softwares for same modem: got them from different sources.

First drivers which we were discussing about is buggy I think, after applying permission and pressing just enter(hasn't given any path), ended up with installation failure. But I have different set of drivers, by applying same logic it went very fine and terminal clearly said installation was successful. My concerned dashboard was opened and I could able to create my network profile, but when i hit connect button, dashboard says connected but no internet in my computer. Do you have any clue about this. So far your guidance was great; expressing my gratitude.

regards
    sandy.
    Unfortunately I know a little less about this, but I can try and help. I'm assuming you're using the Cinnamon DE, this correct? Or are you using MATE or KDE or something?

If you're using Cinnamon, there should be a computer icon in the bottom right that has your internet status when you mouse over it, when you click it, you can go to the network settings. From there, make sure the wireless card is enabled. Even if it's not connected to a network, you should have a "hardware address", which looks something like this: A2:B3:C45:E6:F7 - and make sure it's 'ON'.

From there click "Network Name" dropdown, and select the network, if the network you want to connect to isn't shown, hit 'Other...'. There you can type in the network name, security type, and your password.

If you're not using cinnamon we'll have to try something else.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndacate View Post
    Unfortunately I know a little less about this, but I can try and help. I'm assuming you're using the Cinnamon DE, this correct? Or are you using MATE or KDE or something?

If you're using Cinnamon, there should be a computer icon in the bottom right that has your internet status when you mouse over it, when you click it, you can go to the network settings. From there, make sure the wireless card is enabled. Even if it's not connected to a network, you should have a "hardware address", which looks something like this: A2:B3:C45:E6:F7 - and make sure it's 'ON'.

From there click "Network Name" dropdown, and select the network, if the network you want to connect to isn't shown, hit 'Other...'. There you can type in the network name, security type, and your password.

If you're not using cinnamon we'll have to try something else.
    It seems O.S its self is buggy, I can't even switch on my wifi adaptar there! it very tough to deal, when I open manual.doc for instructions, entire system hangs, so thinking of getting rid of this os. Thanks for you precious help, will be in touch. Thanks and regards

sandy.

It seems O.S its self is buggy, I can't even switch on my wifi adaptar there! it very tough to deal, when I open manual.doc for instructions, entire system hangs, so thinking of getting rid of this os. Thanks for you precious help, will be in touch. Thanks and regards

sandy.
    Hrm, Yeah, sorry, haven't used the wifi under Cinnamon yet, so I don't really know much about its wifi UI. Not sure what would make the entire system hang when you try to open a doc file, though :-\.

Good luck! Post back if you figure anything out.