Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having issues installing Mint Linux (as you are aware from the topic, lol) I am intent on Dual-Booting Mint Linux 14 Cinnamon with Windows 7 as the primary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Installation Problems!

I am having issues installing Mint Linux (as you are aware from the topic, lol)

I am intent on Dual-Booting Mint Linux 14 Cinnamon with Windows 7 as the primary boot device, but a problem exists from my Ubuntu installation/uninstallation.

About a day or two ago, I used a USB to install Ubuntu and created its separate partitions so that it wouldn't take over the main boot method of Windows. I decided that I didn't like it so I deleted the partitions it made. Now considering I created its own partitions so that it could boot from them, it shouldn't have overwritten the MBR or at least that was the main purpose of creating custom partitions. However, when I enter the boot manager I can still see Ubuntu listed, and when booted it goes into a recovery shell. I've even tried programs that would fix the MBR. Now this leads into a problem with installing Mint.

I installed mint, created its own boot sector, but I have reason to believe that the ubuntu problems are still keeping me from using Mint. The partitions were made but I couldn't access the installation to use Mint by any means. It existed on the computer but there was no way to access it, The Ubuntu boot loader was still in it's recovery shell. Can someone please help me restore order to my laptop?

Summation of Problems:
    Ubuntu won't be fully removed
    Windows boot manager doesn't initiate on its own
    Mint doesn't have a boot option (possibly due to Ubuntu) has since been removed

Side Notes:
    The laptop DOES NOT have a disc drive. It's a budget portable laptop. I've done everything via bootable USB.

Hi and Welcome !

Now considering I created its own partitions so that it could boot from them, it shouldn't have overwritten the MBR or at least that was the main purpose of creating custom partitions.
    Even if you install any OS in a separate partition, you will need help of boot loader installed in MBR to boot it. It looks like you were using Ubuntu's boot loader, GRUB to boot both Windows OS and Ubuntu. Now, you have removed Ubuntu and installed Mint. But you have installed Mint Boot Loader in its boot sector this time.
    Now situation is, MBR has GRUB of Ubuntu whose conf files have been deleted. Mint's GRUB has been installed in its boot sector and there is no way to call it because GRUB in MBR is not working.

Is Windows OS booting up fine?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Even if you install any OS in a separate partition, you will need help of boot loader installed in MBR to boot it. It looks like you were using Ubuntu's boot loader, GRUB to boot both Windows OS and Ubuntu. Now, you have removed Ubuntu and installed Mint. But you have installed Mint Boot Loader in its boot sector this time.
    Now situation is, MBR has GRUB of Ubuntu whose conf files have been deleted. Mint's GRUB has been installed in its boot sector and there is no way to call it because GRUB in MBR is not working.

Is Windows OS booting up fine?
    Windows works perfectly fine

Which Boot Loader were you using in Windows OS/Ubuntu dual boot setup?

Boot up from Mint LiveUSB and execute fdisk -l command in Terminal. Post output here.
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    * Its small L in fdisk -l.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I had GRUB installed, but it never booted up to either GRUB or Windows honestly. It would autoboot to Windows 7. Although in the BIOS, it would says Windows Boot Manager first (but still go straight to Windows 7 without a prompt. I used to override and boot GRUB to get into ubuntu.

Code:
    WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc3664e96

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1   625142447   312571223+  ee  GPT

Disk /dev/sdb: 4004 MB, 4004511744 bytes
    124 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1017 cylinders, total 7821312 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xa2215919

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sdb1   *          63     7807589     3903763+   b  W95 FAT32
    /dev/sdb2         7807590     7807652          31+  21  Unknown
    Last edited by Solus; 11-25-2012 at 01:48 AM.