Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my first post, I apologize if I am unaware of some forum rules. I am using a Satellite P745, originally using Windows 7, which is the only OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Boot Linux Mint Wifi issues

This is my first post, I apologize if I am unaware of some forum rules.
    I am using a Satellite P745, originally using Windows 7, which is the only OS on the hard drive. I am using a flash drive and UNETbootin to boot Linux Mint 10 (julia). Everything works fine, except for connecting to a wireless network. The wireless card (Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 6150) connects fine through windows, however Linux does not even recognize that any wireless network exists. I am very new to Linux, and despite several hours of searching am still unsure of how to get the drivers and other necessary things needed for the wireless card.

Thanks a bunch guys, and again I apologize if I don't know the rules.

Linux Guru
    Did you download the windows version of unetbootin and then use unetbootin to download Mint and put it on a flash drive?
    Did you then install Mint on a separate partition? or are you just using the flash drive?
    You would need to explain what you mean by "Linux does not even recognize that any wireless network exists".
    Go to the link below here at the forums and read it and post the requested info so you can get some help.

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html

Just Joined!
    Yes, I downloaded the windows unetbootion and then used it to download the "10_live_x64" version of Linux Mint.

I've just been using the flash drive, I'm not sure if that's the problem, I'm not a computer expert by any means but I feel like that shouldn't affect it.

When I click on the network icon in the bottom right corner, it doesn't give me an option to connect to wireless networks, and the wireless tab in the network connection utility in the control center also doesn't show any networks, despite a network existing (Windows connects).

Is this a driver issue? If so, where can I download the Linux drivers for my wireless card? Or is this an issue with booting off of a usb drive? I would prefer not to make a Linux partition on my hard drive if at all possible.

Thanks a bunch again!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you will go to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...tart-here.html, and supply the information, someone should be able to help you.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Linux Guru
    I've just been using the flash drive, I'm not sure if that's the problem
    If you are just using the flash drive and have not installed it, then that is most likely the problem. If you used unetbootin to put Mint on a flash, it is just a Live CD on a flash drive and a Live CD is a read-only system which means you can't write to it. If you were able to install drivers, you would need to do it every time you reboot as it is not retained.

If you don't want to install Mint to a partition, you could use either mint4win which is a program that installs Mint inside windows. I would expect it to be on the Live CD. You could also install VirtualBox on windows and then install Mint there.

Just Joined!
    To work around this issue, go on ebay and buy a linksy USB wireless adapter. Get the silver one, not the latest black one. These are no longer made. They go cheap; expect to pay about 10 - 15 bucks. These allow Linux to connect easily. Pick up a couple and you will be well set. Good luck.

Packrat1947