Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings! I've Googled and Googled and found no one good suggestion. I'd like to switch users without the interruption of needing passwords to switch between them. If you have any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Killing Passwords Needed To Switch Users

Greetings!

I've Googled and Googled and found no one good suggestion. I'd like to switch users without the interruption of needing passwords to switch between them. If you have any suggestion I'd be Xtremely grateful!

Thanks!

Jim in NYC

Just Joined!
    You could enable automatic login.

Applications->System Tools->System Settings->User Accounts, click Unlock and enter password then toggle Automatic Login to yes. Apply to desired users. When you boot, you will skip the login screen and go straight to your desktop. (This is for Ubuntu, but the principle is the same)

I've never tried it, but I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to remove the hash entry in /etc/shadow.
    Change this:
    Code:
    user_name:$1$iM/2lekk$rXUAcF5fY8ddLL.B1bkH63:12242::503:505::/home/dummy:/bin/bash
    To this:
    Code:
    user_name::503:505::/home/dummy:/bin/bash
    Again, I've not tried this. So I can't say for sure if it will work.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I'm pretty sure the poster doesn't want to remove all passwords from all users, and yes, removing the second entry from /etc/shadow will remove all the passwords.

Probably what the poster is looking for is sudo.

Login as root and use visudo to edit the /etc/sudoers file adding the following line:
    archuser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /bin/su

Now, when I login as archuser, I can switch to any user without knowing the password.

archuser $ sudo su - taddmusr
    taddmusr $ id
    uid=1005(taddmusr) gid=1000(taddmusr) groups=1000(taddmusr)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by abarclay View Post
    I'm pretty sure the poster doesn't want to remove all passwords from all users, and yes, removing the second entry from /etc/shadow will remove all the passwords.

Probably what the poster is looking for is sudo.

Login as root and use visudo to edit the /etc/sudoers file adding the following line:
    archuser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /bin/su

Now, when I login as archuser, I can switch to any user without knowing the password.

archuser $ sudo su - taddmusr
    taddmusr $ id
    uid=1005(taddmusr) gid=1000(taddmusr) groups=1000(taddmusr)
    This is exactly what I do so I can switch user accounts as needed without a password being required. Just remember, that this sudoers setting allows archuser (or whoever) complete and unfettered root access to the entire system! If you are the sysadmin and need to manage all that cruft, then this will work well for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwg View Post
    Greetings!

I've Googled and Googled and found no one good suggestion. I'd like to switch users without the interruption of needing passwords to switch between them. If you have any suggestion I'd be Xtremely grateful!

Thanks!

Jim in NYC
    Use the switch user to create the second login. Then use alt-ctl-f7 to switch back (since you used switch user you will have to enter the password). Use alt-ctrl-f8 to switch the the seond login (no passwd needed). Use alt-ctrl-f7 to switch back to the first login (no password needed). However, if the login enter a locked screen saver, you will again need to use the password to unlock the screen saver.

Just Joined!
    If I need to run another X-session for a guest without terminating my main X-session, I simply press Ctrl+Alt+F[1..6], log in as another user and run startx. On next to current X-terminal starts a new X-session for current user.