Find the answer to your Linux question:
Been working on this issue for a few hours. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong. I created a directory on my Desktop called Temp by using the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where am i going wrong

Been working on this issue for a few hours. Can someone tell me where I am going wrong. I created a directory on my Desktop called Temp by using the mkdir command. I am in my cdrom and want to copy all files and folders to the Temp dir. Here are the commands I used:
    cp * /ham/Desktop/Temp
    cp -R * /ham/Desktop/Temp
    Both commands give me an error that says Temp is not a dir. Thanks.

Can you execute the command 'ls -l /ham/Desktop/Temp' and show us the results of that, please?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    Can you execute the command 'ls -l /ham/Desktop/Temp' and show us the results of that, please?
    Ran command as user and root. Got same results. BUT I was able to get to work. After running the correct command to get the CD to copy to my Temp folder I ran it again but pointed it to my flash drive with this command:
    ~ $ cp -R /media/ham/ERD/* /media/ham/8GBKING1
    I copied the bootable CD to the flash drive. When I do a ls --all on the flash drive it shows the same files that are on the CD. Need to solve while it says OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND. Looking into that at this time.

The first problem I was having has something to do where I launched the command from i.e.:
    /.............
    ham#............
    $................
    Just starting Linux but will figure it out by research and help from other people like you. Thanks.

Linux Guru
    What are you trying to do? If you are trying to make a bootable flash drive, just copying the files from the CD or from a directory on your hard drive won't work. You could use the dd command if you still have the mint iso you downloaded or you could download and use unetbootin or pendrivelinux. Not sure what your intentions are? You mention the error operating system not found so I am guessing you want to make the flash bootable.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    What are you trying to do? If you are trying to make a bootable flash drive, just copying the files from the CD or from a directory on your hard drive won't work. You could use the dd command if you still have the mint iso you downloaded or you could download and use unetbootin or pendrivelinux. Not sure what your intentions are? You mention the error operating system not found so I am guessing you want to make the flash bootable.
    I want to put every file and directory from the CD to a flash drive. Yes I know how to make a flash drive bootable. My question is why does it not work if every file and directory from the CD was copied to it. I used the ls --all to compare them. Should I of used another command besides cp -R?

Linux Guru
    The methods for bootin from a CD and a hard drive or flash drive are different which is why just using a copy command won't work. See the link below for an explanation:

boot - what is the difference between the usb booting mechanism and optical disk booting mechanism? - Super User

You could use the dd command and it should work if it is a hybrid iso, a new release of Mint should work. Hybrid iso is mentioned in the link above also. Putting an iso on a flash drive could be done with the command below. You would need to change directories in the terminal to the directory in which the iso resides and have the exact name of the iso. Also, in the command below, the flash drive is sdb and you might have to change it. Find the correct device with sudo fdisk -l command:

dd if=linuxmint-13-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso of=/dev/sdb oflag=direct bs=1048576

This worked for me but the problem was it was about a 700MB iso on an 8GB flash and I wasn't able to create another partition so the rest of the space was useless.