Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello I have Installed Linux 14 Mint on 32bit at office and 64bit at home, the problem I am getting is, I always get a error Floppy disk not mounted ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help needed.

Hello I have Installed Linux 14 Mint on 32bit at office and 64bit at home, the problem I am getting is, I always get a error Floppy disk not mounted and also the USB drive and USD Hard Disk which I connect to it, cannot be unmounted. Eject or Unmount options does not work can any one please help for the same.

Moved thread here.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    You haven't provided much information. To start with, when do you get this error about a floppy disk not mounted? Everytime you boot? Immediately after booting? During boot? When you are doing something else? I this a new installation? Did these things ever work? Have you ever used a Linux operating system before? What happens when you try to manually unmount the disks?

Just Joined!
    Hi Yancek,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the Linux from last 2 years and have'nt found any error in the previous versions of it. Now let me brief you the details. After I turn on my PC and click on the nikunj'shome icon from which we can enter to the drive listed in the PC, soon as I open that I get this error " Unable to mount Floppy Disk "Untitled.jpg.

NOte this error comes always whever strart my PC for the first time. Not only this but when I insert a pen drive or a portable hard disk in PC and when I try to unmount the same it is not unmounted, it remains as mounted only.

Please note I have installed with all admin rights, as mentioned in earlier versions I did not have this problems.

My second query is I am trying to install MS office 2007, wine is installed in my PC, but I am unable to do that as when I try to install the Ms.Office. Kindly provide me the steps for the same.

I have added the screen shot for the same. I hope this time I have provide you the proper info.

Look forward to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

Nikunj
    Last edited by Niksoni; 01-28-2013 at 04:46 AM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Assuming that you don't actually have a floppy disk in the PC, maybe this will help.

I have no idea how to install MS Office under Wine. Can you not use LibreOffice and save in the MS formats?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Hi Elija,

Thanks for the reply.

I will try for the floppy, Second what about the mounted volume like pen drive and external hard disk ?

Also another thing I forgot to mention is when I go to a shared file of windows via samba I get connected to the networked PC but while unmount the same it doest not work, the network PC remains as mounted only. So basically the main thing I need to sort out is for unmounting EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE , PEN DRIVE, and NETWORKED PC

One more question :- I am trying to download some FREE TRADE MAGAZINE from here linuxforums.tradepub, I entered all the valid details last week but I did not received any email to download the same.

I can go with libre office but there some files which is best viewed in Ms Office.

Regards,

Nikunj
    Last edited by Niksoni; 01-28-2013 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added new questions

Linux Guru
    If you google 'linux mint unable to mount floppy' you will get a number of sites with suggestions. See the link below for some suggestions:

Linux Mint Forums • View topic - "Unable to mount" keeps popping up

Are the external/pen drives auto-mounted under the /media directory? do you have entries in /etc/fstab for them? or do you manually mount them each time and then cannot manually unmount them?

Just Joined!
    hello Yancek, yes I manually mount them each time and they cannot be unmounted after that. This did not happen to me in the previous versions of linux. In the previous versions I just right click on the mounted volume and click on eject or unmount and it is done.

Here are the details of /etc/fstab:-

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=a7cf0e89-286d-4f92-88fa-aa3733b9900b / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=049cc412-d71d-4cdf-ae11-f6d22c942626 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Also one more thing when I comnnect to another PC via samba by entering its IP address and username and password the shared folder is opened and I can view and edit the same, but when I try to unmount the same I cannot. It remians mounted until I restart my pc.

And last query is I am trying to install MS office 2007 & 2010, wine is installed in my PC, but I am unable to do that as when I try to install the Ms.Office. Kindly provide me the steps for the same. I can go with libre office but there some files which is best and has to be viewed in Ms.Office.

Let me know if there is a solution for all the above mentioned.
    Last edited by Niksoni; 01-29-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Linux Guru
    With regard to the floppy drive error, I would suggest you comment out the line in fstab so it looks like this:

#/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    What happens when you try to unmount the samba share? what warning or error messages if any?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    With regard to the floppy drive error, I would suggest you comment out the line in fstab so it looks like this:

What happens when you try to unmount the samba share? what warning or error messages if any?
    Ok will try for the above for floppy disk.

There is no warning or error message I get. Simply like the external mounted volume, the samba share does not close.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast