Find the answer to your Linux question:
Doing an update and lost the Menu button and bottom panel? Any ideas???...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lost Menu button and panel

Doing an update and lost the Menu button and bottom panel? Any ideas???

Which DE are you using?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

New user prob

Was installing compiz fusion and lost menu button and panel. After researching online saw a commit where it does not work on Mint Cinnamon edition. So i just did a fast re-install. Is there a compiz fusion just for Cinnamon? Thanks for your response. Does DE stand for desktop environment? What would your fix of been?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I never really got into using Compiz, but I've seen several articles on the web about getting it running.
    Does DE stand for desktop environment? What would your fix of been?
    Yep... DE = Desktop Environment.
    And some DEs will let you simply right-click and add another panel. Gnome 2 and I think Xfce let you do this.
    Otherwise, removing the config file from your home directory can be a fix. Note that doing this will remove any other changes/customizations that you've made.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Can I change desktop

How do you know which DE you are using and can it be changed?

Just started Mint and once again the Menu button and panel are missing. Looked in home dir and did not see a config file. Could it be somewhere else?
    Last edited by valid; 01-29-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: just found same issue

Just Joined!

Got menu button back

Once again hitting the net gave a few ideas on restoring DE. The screen where you put in your name gives you the option of different DE's. I chose Mate and all is well.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by valid View Post
    How do you know which DE you are using and can it be changed?

Just started Mint and once again the Menu button and panel are missing. Looked in home dir and did not see a config file. Could it be somewhere else?
    You might be able to click the "about" option in one or more of your opened windows to determine which DE you are running. You can also post a screenshot here in the forum and someone might be able to tell you. Another way, would be to check the website of the distribution that you are using to see what the default DE is, and if you haven't changed it, that should be what you are running.

The config files for DEs and WMs are usually hidden files/folders that can be seen if you configure your file manager to "show hidden" files, or from a command line, you can run the following command to show all files in your current folder:

Code:
    ls -a

Edit: oops, looks like you figured out some of the issues on your own while I was posting the above.
    oz