Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with VMware Tools

After my good experience with Zorin I was trying to have a look at Mint Mate. That was recommended by one of the members.

It looks pretty nice although I have not yet been able to make all the settings I like. But my biggest problem right now is that the VMware Tools do not work.

I installed the tools and the installation was successful. they are in my startups.

2013-02-23_1940.jpg

But even after several reboots they do not work.

Maybe I made a mistake at the installation. I specified Ubuntu 64 when I had to select the distro for VMware. Should I have chosen another option and could that possibly fix the problem. And what system option should I take. These are my options:

Last edited by whs; 02-24-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I've never used VMware as I tend to use VirtualBox for my V.M.s so I can't give any definitive help but I would have chosen Ubuntu or Ubuntu 64 as well.

The first thing to do is have a look at the kernel messages. Run
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    which will display the messages one page at a time. There is a lot of information here and you may find messages relating to VMware.

Most logs in Linux are stored in /var/log or a subdirectory. There may be a VMware log or error log in there and if so, that should give you a guide.
    Should you be sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for the answer. I'll keep digging and have a look at the Kernel messages. There must be some incompatibility since it installed perfectly well (I have installed the tools already several times with Zorin - sometimes the updates knock them out - and I know the installation sequence). They are also shown in the startups where I put them. So theoretically they should get started - theoretically.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close