Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all. Not giving my life story, but just a brief summary to tell you all the problems I've been having: HP Envy 14 laptop, i5 2.4 GHz 4 GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Getting back into it and lot of problems

Hey all. Not giving my life story, but just a brief summary to tell you all the problems I've been having:

HP Envy 14 laptop, i5 2.4 GHz 4 GB Ram, Beats audio, pretty current laptop

Had W7 64bit Home pre-installed. Was running hot all the time and wasn't getting good battery life (about 2-2.5h compared to expected 3-4h), and sluggish at times. Decided to revisit my linux days from years past.

Chose Mint 14 64 bit Cinnamon based on some research, and liked the interface. However, noticed several problems over the past 3 weeks on it:
    1. Still running hot (~60C). Not terrible, but problem is the fan is always on. And loud. Went to BIOS to disable "fan always on" and still was non-stop running.
    2. With fan always on or something else, battery life pretty bad in Mint. I'd say about 1.5-2h now, if I'm lucky.
    3. Still not as fast as I would expect, often times having to reboot because so slow and stalling on me.
    4. (Minor, but somewhat annoying) Whenever I boot up or open the lid from blank screen, I have to increase screen brightness because it's apparently all the way down.
    5. With the login screen, can't get any of the Themed with Faces to work on Cinnamon.
    6. The C drive from my dual boot Windows often doesn't mount properly, which is especially annoying because I have my Dropbox linked to a folder on the C drive.
    7. Tried switching video drivers to proprietary and only would boot into Gnome desktop and was very limited. Switched back to OpenGL driver.
    8. Tried Gnome desktop with OpenGL and also installed MATE to test them out. Gnome had much better performance overall, but was lacking on a lot of other features (couldn't edit panel, themes, etc.). MATE is not letting me do a majority of keybindings with the Super key. And my Browser hotkey (by F6) was opening "epiphany" in MATE. After finding a few answers to it, still was only able to get it to open home folder.
    9. When I run MATE, the sound is not working properly. I often have to go into volume control and switch the playback device to find the sound volume that is muted, and it's not working with my volume hotkeys on the laptop.
    10. I had the Gnome-Pie application on here, and for some reason or another, when I was trying to fix the browser hotkey issue and when running MATE, it won't start anymore. I tried purge removing it, reinstalling, running it on different DE's and nothing. Won't start up and hotkeys for it don't work. And I liked it...hehe

Basically, I'm whining and complaining. But I feel these are valid complaints and I would love to hear what more experienced users have found with any/all of these. Maybe this distro is just not a good choice for this laptop? Thinking overall that it's a video card issue (drivers or hardware?) so maybe another distro (like Ubuntu or something) might work better with it? Or maybe a fresh install of Mint? Idk I'm at a loss, but I definitely would prefer to stay on Linux rather than W7 or (shudders) downgrade to W8. Blegh.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate your help in advance! (Assuming there will be help...please help?)

Chersen
    Last edited by chersen; 02-27-2013 at 05:01 AM.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by chersen View Post
    Had W7 64bit Home pre-installed. Was running hot all the time and wasn't getting good battery life (about 2-2.5h compared to expected 3-4h), and sluggish at times. Decided to revisit my linux days from years past.

Chose Mint 14 64 bit Cinnamon based on some research, and liked the interface. However, noticed several problems over the past 3 weeks on it:
    1. Still running hot (~60C). Not terrible, but problem is the fan is always on. And loud. Went to BIOS to disable "fan always on" and still was non-stop running.
    2. With fan always on or something else, battery life pretty bad in Mint. I'd say about 1.5-2h now, if I'm lucky.
    Good day, chersen

I've never installed Mint so have no experience with it and will leave all that for Mint users to chime in on, but regarding the hardware itself, do you think the laptop or the fan could be defective since the overheating is present whether running Windows, or Linux? Could the fan blades be bent or missing causing the extra noise and the fan to run continually in an attempt to bring the unit down to the proper temps?

Out of curiosity, I wonder if running the machine from a liveCD or liveUSB device makes any difference in temps and fans continually running?
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I find that Firefox tends to run my Nvidia card quite hard. If I close Firefox the reported temperature will drop by over 20 degrees in a couple of minutes. Firefox seems to do this regardless of the operating system. It doesn't do the same on my laptop which has Optimus graphics with Firefox only using the Intel card.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I find that Firefox tends to run my Nvidia card quite hard. If I close Firefox the reported temperature will drop by over 20 degrees in a couple of minutes. Firefox seems to do this regardless of the operating system. It doesn't do the same on my laptop which has Optimus graphics with Firefox only using the Intel card.
    That's pretty outrageous. And I thought firefox was the better browser. Do other browser do this also? I've never really paid attention to programs spiking the temperatures.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It's something to do with WebGL which uses the the 2D card for performance. It's not doing it right now but if I visit a more javascripty site it will go mental!
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    Seems it may be a laptop issue since it runs hot in both OSs. I'd first try popping the lid to check the fan and clean out any accumulated dust, making sure the hardware and air passages are dust-free. If not that, try CPU scaling in one of the OSs to see if the temp goes down. I'd also check the HD: boot the Mint DVD to RAM (add the word 'toram' in the kernel line), unmount the HD and then use hdparm in the terminal to spin down the HD. I'd also check the BIOS voltage readings against mfg specs. HWInfo32 (or 64) is a good Win 7 app for more detailed info. Could be something else but until discovering what, it'd probably be safer to let the fan run... it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Just Joined!
    Sorry it took me a bit to respond. Thank you all for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    Good day, chersen

I've never installed Mint so have no experience with it and will leave all that for Mint users to chime in on, but regarding the hardware itself, do you think the laptop or the fan could be defective since the overheating is present whether running Windows, or Linux? Could the fan blades be bent or missing causing the extra noise and the fan to run continually in an attempt to bring the unit down to the proper temps?

Out of curiosity, I wonder if running the machine from a liveCD or liveUSB device makes any difference in temps and fans continually running?
    I suppose it could be the fan, now that you mention it. I'd like to open it and check it out, but seeing as this is a new laptop I'm hesitant to start opening it up until I've looked at all possible solutions. But thank you! And I also tried running it off a liveUSB and it's still running hot/slow.

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Don't really use firefox. It's usually Chrome for me but even when I'm not online, it's still pretty hot with other programs. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fanderal View Post
    Seems it may be a laptop issue since it runs hot in both OSs. I'd first try popping the lid to check the fan and clean out any accumulated dust, making sure the hardware and air passages are dust-free. If not that, try CPU scaling in one of the OSs to see if the temp goes down. I'd also check the HD: boot the Mint DVD to RAM (add the word 'toram' in the kernel line), unmount the HD and then use hdparm in the terminal to spin down the HD. I'd also check the BIOS voltage readings against mfg specs. HWInfo32 (or 64) is a good Win 7 app for more detailed info. Could be something else but until discovering what, it'd probably be safer to let the fan run... it's doing what it's supposed to do.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I guess I'm still learning, so I'm not quite sure how to do spin down the HD or check the BIOS voltage. Idk if there's a guide out there for this, but if you know where it is I'd love to give it a try.

Update: As of know, I'm pretty positive it's a driver or processor problem. I have an Intel i5 2430 quad core processor and honestly don't know exactly what drivers I should be using. It's currently using the AMD/ATI one from Xservers and seems to run better with the proprietary ones, but everything else doesn't work when I use those. And the AMD catalyst control center wouldn't work either.

I've tried several distros to see if any of them work better or just come with better drivers and it's all just very frustrating. My fan sounds like an airplane about to take off, with temps reaching 70-80C. And actually, I was running some programs in Windows to compare and it handled much better. So I think I need to somehow modify either the grub (as I found in other guides about "Loading the i915 driver in the 3.2.6 kernel without adding unsupported PPA") or find a way to change my drivers. Also, another thing that may be important is the fact that of the 4GB ram on my laptop, when the CPU is revving away at 100%, memory usage is only 20% (about 800 MB). I'm not the most experienced in all of this, but it would seem to me that it should be using more memory to handle tasks rather than going to all 4 of my processors.

Well done sir.
    I think you hit the nail on the head when you said
    I'm pretty positive it's a driver or processor problem
    See here.
    HP Envy 14 [Linux Laptop Wiki]

Summary

The HP Envy 14 is not ready to be used with Linux nowadays:

This laptop provides “switchable graphics” but this feature is not supported by mainstream distributions like Ubuntu 10.04 or Fedora 13. More information about switchable graphics here: Linux Hybrid Graphics.
    This laptop provides a Synaptics ClickPad (Synaptics ClickPad). This new kind of touchpad is not supported by current drivers and prevent you from left or right clicking. You can only “tap”..
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.

Just Joined!
    Ahh thank you! I've been researching this for a while and knew there had to be something weird going on. Really appreciate the help! Looked at the website and saw someone was using integrated intel only? Not sure what that is, but have you heard any way to work around the switchable graphics? Or a good distro that is compatible? Maybe something like BSD that isn't pure Linux might work?

Quote Originally Posted by chersen View Post
    Ahh thank you! I've been researching this for a while and knew there had to be something weird going on. Really appreciate the help! Looked at the website and saw someone was using integrated intel only? Not sure what that is, but have you heard any way to work around the switchable graphics? Or a good distro that is compatible? Maybe something like BSD that isn't pure Linux might work?
    You're quite welcome.
    My guess on the switchable graphics is this: the machine has a hybrid display adapter that might be disabled or switched to use Intel graphics only in the BIOS somewhere.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast